PDA

View Full Version : little blinking cursor on installation

maurice-volaski
July 1st, 2019, 06:50 PM
I'm trying to install Disco Dingo, aka 19.04 to a ASUS X399-A system running a Threadripper 2950x. The boot of the DVD gets to a point where it displays a tiny blinking white cursor at the upper left of the screen. The DVD is no longer being accessed. Any idea what might be going on?

CatKiller
July 1st, 2019, 07:10 PM
Which GPU? If it's an nvidia one you'll probably need to use the nomodeset kernel parameter until you've got the proprietary driver installed.

maurice-volaski
July 1st, 2019, 07:11 PM
Ah, how can I alter the kernel parameter on the boot media?

CatKiller
July 1st, 2019, 07:19 PM
It's a while since I've done it but, from memory, where you have the "try Ubuntu without installing" option you can press e to edit the kernel line. Just add in nomodeset to where it probably says quiet splash, and then whatever button it says to carry on booting. You'll probably need to do it once more when you've installed it, this time from the Grub menu which you get by pressing Esc at boot. Once you've installed the proprietary driver you shouldn't need it any more.

zeroxfcpersonal
July 3rd, 2019, 05:02 AM
esc doesnt really work for me but do you reinstall ubuntu and then when you have the option to try or install and then press e