PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Live Can't Detect Hard Drive

foob99
June 27th, 2019, 01:46 AM
Hi, I have been trying to install Ubuntu on my Dell Inspiron 15 7000 for four days. I believe where the problem lies is that Ubuntu cannot detect my hard drive. Whenever I choose the installation type, no device appears in the table. Furthermore, the button where you add a new partition, "New Partition Table...", is greyed out. I have searched thoroughly throughout multiple forums on how to fix this and nothing has worked.

When I open up GParted, it only shows the USB I have to boot Ubuntu. What should I do to fix this? I don't believe this is a hardware issue, as this laptop I have is almost brand new.

Here is a link to a screenshot of what GParted looks like and what the installation looks like.
https://ibb.co/X5yZDdX

Dennis N
June 27th, 2019, 02:17 AM
General suggestions that might help:
Disable fast startup in Windows.
Disable secure boot in UEFI firmware.
Ubuntu must be installed in UEFI mode, as Windows 10 is. You must boot the USB installer in UEFI mode to do a UEFI installation.

foob99
June 27th, 2019, 02:29 AM
Thanks so much for helping. I apologize for not mentioning this, but while trying to install Ubuntu, Windows was deleted. Also, I have always been booting in UEFI and I have secure boot disabled. I have tried doing a BIOS boot and have had the same results.

Dennis N
June 27th, 2019, 03:32 AM
Check to be sure RAID is disabled in your UEFI firmware.