PDA

View Full Version : Help with Package Removal for Ubuntu Desktop to Server

alissals96
June 22nd, 2019, 06:42 AM
Hi, so it looks as my machine only let's me install Ubuntu Desktop and not Ubuntu Server by default. I hear people saying they converted Ubuntu Desktop to Ubuntu Server by using a program called Tasksel. Once installing Ubuntu Server, can I wipe all default packages from Ubuntu Desktop so what's left is the shell for Ubuntu Server to start working on?

Thanks

Alissa

dino99
June 22nd, 2019, 10:25 AM
Better and easier to do a fresh server iso installation ):P

TheFu
June 22nd, 2019, 02:35 PM
Tasksel is just a metapackage installation program. Basically, it installs 5 services and configures them to work together. You can run it on desktops too.

There is nothing special about "desktop" or "server" installs. Just the default programs included. If the programs you want aren't there, install them. Doesn't matter if they are server or desktop programs.

I have never used Tasksel. If I want a group of programs installed, then I'll install those and configure them to work together the way I want.

Removing Ubuntu-Desktop won't do much. It just removes the metapackage that says ubuntu-desktop programs were installed. If you want to remove all the programs included, that means removing the GUI and ... lots of other desktop-specific packages. https://packages.ubuntu.com/disco/ubuntu-desktop has a list.

alissals96
June 22nd, 2019, 03:36 PM
Tasksel is just a metapackage installation program. Basically, it installs 5 services and configures them to work together. You can run it on desktops too.

There is nothing special about "desktop" or "server" installs. Just the default programs included. If the programs you want aren't there, install them. Doesn't matter if they are server or desktop programs.

I have never used Tasksel. If I want a group of programs installed, then I'll install those and configure them to work together the way I want.

Removing Ubuntu-Desktop won't do much. It just removes the metapackage that says ubuntu-desktop programs were installed. If you want to remove all the programs included, that means removing the GUI and ... lots of other desktop-specific packages. https://packages.ubuntu.com/disco/ubuntu-desktop has a list.

So does this mean that if I remove the GUI, it removes the packages with Ubuntu Desktop if I check uninstall Ubuntu Desktop after installing server?

TheFu
June 22nd, 2019, 04:36 PM
No. It means "ubuntu-desktop" is a metapackage. If you remove 1 package included in that metapackage, then the "ubuntu-desktop" metapackages is removed, but not all the real packages included inside it.

Fixating on important things is good.

If you must have exactly "ubuntu server", then use virtualization like the entire world does.
If you don't need exactly the server install, then just install the server packages you need, when you need them.

cruzer001
June 22nd, 2019, 05:29 PM
I have not tried this, but seems others have.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=870455&p=9174671#post9174671

This may also work:

sudo tasksel remove ubuntu-desktop
Tasksel also has a test mode the will go through the process without changing anything, using the "-t" switch.

sudo tasksel remove ubuntu-desktop -t

It would be interesting to find out if this actually works.

Edit
Taskel can be very aggresive at package removal, taking too much at times. The link above removes the desktop and installs the basic server (console) at the same time. I think a better route to go.