PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Show Applications - Frequent

Geoff_Lane
June 21st, 2019, 09:00 PM
Folks,

Curious, this is not a major problem but am puzzled.

I use the terminal quite regularly as I ssh into a few machines.

My terminal does not show in the 'frequent' list although some other applications I use less often do.

Appreciate Ctrl-Alt-t is a quicker option though.

Geffers

TheFu
June 22nd, 2019, 04:10 PM
I've re-re-read the post above and still can't figure out what you are saying or seeking. I spend 10+ hrs a day using terminals connected to different systems. Care to explain or ask a question?

PaulW2U
June 22nd, 2019, 04:54 PM
I was a little confused too but it seems this is actually a GNOME Shell question.

GNOME Shell has a "Show Applications" button that displays a screenful of icons which represent either frequently used applications or all installed applications. In Ubuntu 18.04 I don't see an icon for the terminal either although I do for terminator.

However, when using the current development version (19.10) an icon for the terminal is shown on the frequently used applications screen. Perhaps a bug that has been fixed in later versions of GNOME Shell? I rarely use these screens so it's not something that I've come across before.

TheFu
June 22nd, 2019, 05:18 PM
Ahhhh. I was thinking along the lines of popcon, popularity contest, stuff. Program name is popcon-largest-unused.

Guess my use of fvwm or openbox for my desktop isn't helping here. ;)

Dennis N
June 22nd, 2019, 06:11 PM
Terminal is shown in the second of three groups under "All" on my Ubuntu 18.04. Maybe you are looking only at the first group? I agree that stuff that one would think should be "Frequent" isn't. The reverse is also true. Why is "Document Viewer" Frequent while gedit (Text) isn't?

Rather than looking through all those icons, my suggestion is just press "T" for terminal and it shows up as a search result on the overview screen.

Geoff_Lane
July 5th, 2019, 10:05 PM
I've re-re-read the post above and still can't figure out what you are saying or seeking. I spend 10+ hrs a day using terminals connected to different systems. Care to explain or ask a question?

My terminal does not show in the 'frequent' list although some other applications I use less often do. - Maybe I should have said 'anyone know why this is' :smile:

Seems you were not the only one confused so I must have worded it a wee bit obscurely. Apologies.

Geffers

Geoff_Lane
July 5th, 2019, 10:08 PM
However, when using the current development version (19.10) an icon for the terminal is shown on the frequently used applications screen. Perhaps a bug that has been fixed in later versions of GNOME Shell? I rarely use these screens so it's not something that I've come across before.

I tend to stay with the LTS versions so as mentioned in initial post, curious rather than a major issue.

If you were confused too I obviously worked my enquiry wrong.

Thanks for reply.

Geffers

Geoff_Lane
July 5th, 2019, 10:10 PM
Terminal is shown in the second of three groups under "All" on my Ubuntu 18.04. Maybe you are looking only at the first group? I agree that stuff that one would think should be "Frequent" isn't. The reverse is also true. Why is "Document Viewer" Frequent while gedit (Text) isn't?

Rather than looking through all those icons, my suggestion is just press "T" for terminal and it shows up as a search result on the overview screen.

Actually I've usually typed 'ter' but yes, T is quicker :)

Geffers

uRock
July 5th, 2019, 10:28 PM
My terminal does not show in the 'frequent' list although some other applications I use less often do. - Maybe I should have said 'anyone know why this is' :smile:

Seems you were not the only one confused so I must have worded it a wee bit obscurely. Apologies.

Geffers
I can confirm your issue. Terminal and GUFW are both opened several times a day, yet neither show in the Frequent screen. I do have Terminal on the faorites bar, so not really an issue. GUFW can't be added to favorites, by default.