PDA

View Full Version : My journey to the (slightly less) dark side begins today!

Zundfolge
April 6th, 2005, 04:19 AM
I switched to Linux from Windows because basically windows sucks ;-) That and I have an old, slow POS computer and Windows is a bloated hog, unlike Ubuntu which is downright svelte (ironic since Ubuntu keeps naming itself after hogs).

Well in the last year or so I've come to the conclusion that my wimpy little P3-450 is just not going to cut it, even running Linux.

So I went and ordered a new computer today ... but no, its not an Intel or even an AMD ... its a Mac.

So it looks like I'll be leaving the worlds of both Windows and Linux (although OSX is somewhat *nix-like).

I can't wait for my new 'puter to show up ... and who knows, I may just partition off the drive and put Ubuntu on it (already installed it on an older iMac at work). Or, I wonder how well Ubuntu would run from an external firewire drive.

poofyhairguy
April 6th, 2005, 04:28 AM
So I went and ordered a new computer today ... but no, its not an Intel or even an AMD ... its a Mac.

Which one?

skoal
April 6th, 2005, 04:46 AM
PowerPC and Linux...

sweeet...
s
sdffffdsaf

fdsf

oops! stupid druel won't stay off keyboard.

asdf
saf
s
sdgsad
g
ggg
f

Zundfolge
April 6th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Which one?

I ordered a 1.25ghz MacMini w/512M Ram and a shiny new Apple Keyboard (I'll be keeping my ugly Intelimouse Optical for a while)

$603 (+~$44 sales tax :? )

slipp3dstr3am
April 6th, 2005, 06:36 PM
i wonder how ubuntu will run like that ...

let me know how it works...(and if you like the mini mac, looking for a cheap new computer)

poofyhairguy
April 6th, 2005, 09:19 PM
I ordered a 1.25ghz MacMini w/512M Ram and a shiny new Apple Keyboard (I'll be keeping my ugly Intelimouse Optical for a while)

$603 (+~$44 sales tax :? )

Smart getting the extra ram. Do us all a favor and do a nice long Jdongesk review when you get it please. I want to get my mom a Mac Mini, but I want to see a few non professional reviews first...(I know you aren't paid off).

Leif
April 6th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Just like poofyhairguy, I'm thinking of a mac for the mom scenario. Please let us know how things work out for you.

Zundfolge
April 7th, 2005, 03:37 AM
No problem ... just got an email from Apple and it should ship next week.

I'll post a review soon after.

jnoreiko
April 7th, 2005, 08:46 PM
(although OSX is somewhat *nix-like).

OS X is a *nix.
Look for the Terminal application in the Utilities folder!

You can install GNOME to run on OS X under X11.
I've not tried it, but I've installed plenty of other *nix apps with fink.

jfdill_2
April 7th, 2005, 09:02 PM
On a semi-related note, if I had money to burn on a 2nd computer, I'd love to get one of these Via Epia based boxes (http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/store/Mini_ITX_Systems/M10000_Hard_Drive_CDRW_DVD) from the Damn Small Linux store. Nowhere near as powerful as a Mac mini, but very low power consumption and silent operation. If you could build something similar based on a Transmeta chip, it should get better performance with the same low power.

Zundfolge
April 7th, 2005, 11:26 PM
OS X is a *nix.
Look for the Terminal application in the Utilities folder!

I know OS X's Darwin Kernel is built on BSD Unix ... but often in Linux forums when you point this out you have to put up with a bunch of replies complaining about how OSX is a *nix abomination ... I was just trying to avoid such a thing ;-)

The Unix underpinnings is one of the main reasons I'm "switching" :mrgreen: