PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Recently purchased an Lubuntu stick from Linux Shop but it won't install.

cheapodonuts
June 16th, 2019, 09:48 AM
I decided to use a ready-made stick just because I'm not as cheap as I used to be. ;) And I always take my laptop when I visit me little old grey haired mam and slightly less grey haired sis. (heh, yeah, us three kids are all in our 60s now :guitar: )

It runs from the stick ok, but won't install, giving this message:
[ 20.469513] dell_smbios: Unable to run on non-Dell system

Is there a way around this?
I'd like to install it alongside Win10 for the moment as the machine was new at xmas and is still under warantee.

coffeecat
June 16th, 2019, 11:43 AM
This, from your posted error message...

[ 20.469513] dell_smbios: Unable to run on non-Dell system

You say that you got the stick from a "Linux shop". High Street shop? Online shop? Dell itself? Does it specify anywhere that it has to be used on a Dell machine?

What make and model of machine are you trying to install to?

cheapodonuts
June 19th, 2019, 10:00 PM
Ah sorry, no, not a Linux shop, but The Linux Shop, https://thelinuxshop.co.uk/lubuntu-linux-32gb-drive-p-327.html

And I'm using an Acer Aspire A315-51, purchased from PC World.

And no again, no Dell requirements on the USB stick.

coffeecat
June 19th, 2019, 10:26 PM
That's most curious. I wouldn't expect that from a USB stick prepared from the official Lubuntu ISO. I wonder if they've created their own image on a Dell machine and somehow, and inadvertently, made it only compatible with Dell hardware.

I think it would be a good idea to contact The Linux Shop and tell them of your problem. There's a contact us link on the right of the page you linked. They might appreciate the feedback.

cheapodonuts
June 19th, 2019, 10:48 PM
Ok, cheers coffeecat, I'll do that.