PDA

View Full Version : /meda/drive_name???

DarkDancer
June 10th, 2019, 06:07 AM
When setting up mount points for drives in Ubuntu as of 10.04 do we still use /media or do we use /dev or something else?

yetimon_64
June 10th, 2019, 07:29 AM
This --link-- (https://askubuntu.com/questions/336518/why-has-ubuntu-moved-the-default-mount-points) from askubuntu.com should answer your question and includes links to further information as to why the change to /media/$USER/ from /media/ was made. Apparently the changes were made in Quantal 12.10 when udisks2 was introduced.

Basically the normal usage in Ubuntu is now /media/$USER/<drive-name>.

...Ubuntu as of 10.04... Is that a typo? Do you mean 18.04 or 19.04 there? Lucid 10.04 is a very long dead, end-of-life, release.

Regards, yeti.

DarkDancer
June 10th, 2019, 06:28 PM
It was a typo, 19.04... ;)

So when installing and setting up a Storage drive instead of mounting it as /media/Storage it would be /media/$USER/Storage... Maybe, (hopefully) that's why I can't get it to boot when the instal is done.

yetimon_64
June 11th, 2019, 11:27 PM
...So when installing and setting up a Storage drive instead of mounting it as /media/Storage it would be /media/$USER/Storage... Maybe, (hopefully) that's why I can't get it to boot when the instal is done.

I usually manually mount to /media/$USER/Storage just to maintain consistency with what is automatically mounted by the system, I think it is still possible to use /media/Storage for manual mounts, though have never really tried it myself. I can't see offhand why doing such a mount would stop the boot process though .