PDA

View Full Version : which debian based distros do you recommend?

ice60
August 23rd, 2006, 10:50 AM
hi, i just broke my main distro and want to find something else. Ubuntu doesn't support my hardware, so i wanted to ask what people like. i don't want to use KDE, so can anyone recommend something?

anything debain based and not KDE. i have actually just started to download dreamlinux. thanks.

rejser
August 23rd, 2006, 11:07 AM
Good luck finding a more hardware tollerant debian distro then ubuntu (with both ubuntu and xubuntu you don't get kde)

UbuWu
August 23rd, 2006, 11:13 AM
What hardware do you have that isn't supported?

ice60
August 23rd, 2006, 11:24 AM
What hardware do you have that isn't supported?

fakeraid, or the stripe raid-0 array, it's the HDD raid which uses fakeraid and stripe maybe that's it :rolleyes:

Dev'olution
August 23rd, 2006, 11:52 AM
If your after something with a little eye candy i recommend elivecd. That uses the enlightenment engine ;)

Dragonbite
August 23rd, 2006, 08:14 PM
If you're willing to go non-Debian based, CentOS (http://www.centos.org)was able to detect all (well, except for the winmodem) of the hardware on my old Sony system when Ubuntu threw up a hairball with the video.

Luckily Ubuntu does better on the old Dell.

Yossarian
August 23rd, 2006, 08:50 PM
Knoppix is great as a livecd Swiss Army knife, has good hardware detection, and can be installed.

Might be a bad daily driver OS, though.

RAV TUX
August 23rd, 2006, 08:51 PM
Knoppix is really the best choice with your hardware....

but Dreamlinux will also work great.

Morphix is another option(Elive and Dreamlinux are both based on Morphix which is based on Knoppix which is based on Debian)

RAV TUX
August 23rd, 2006, 08:52 PM
Knoppix is great as a livecd Swiss Army knife, has good hardware detection, and can be installed.

Might be a bad daily driver OS, though.

actually Knoppix is my OS of choice on my primary computer.

RAV TUX
August 23rd, 2006, 08:56 PM
hi, i just broke my main distro and want to find something else. Ubuntu doesn't support my hardware, so i wanted to ask what people like. i don't want to use KDE, so can anyone recommend something?

anything debain based and not KDE. i have actually just started to download dreamlinux. thanks.

My apologies I just realized you don't want KDE but Gnome by default....

I would try Morphix Gnome

but again I don't care much for KDE either but have gotten used to it on Knoppix....you could always just enable Gnome also....

RAV TUX
August 23rd, 2006, 08:58 PM

My apologies I just realized you don't want KDE but Gnome by default....

I would try Morphix Gnome

but again I don't care much for KDE either but have gotten used to it on Knoppix....you could always just enable Gnome also....

Dreamlinux of course uses XFCE, which is nice.

RAV TUX
August 24th, 2006, 04:30 PM
I have moved this thread from the Cafe to the Debian forum with a redirect.

Yossarian
August 25th, 2006, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by yozef
actually Knoppix is my OS of choice on my primary computer.

Well, there you go, OP. I learn something new every day.

fluffnik
August 27th, 2006, 02:27 AM
fakeraid, or the stripe raid-0 array, it's the HDD raid which uses fakeraid and stripe maybe that's it :rolleyes:

SimplyMEPIS seems to pick up RAIDs very well.

It's KDE by default but Gnomification is quite simple.

baldy1324
September 2nd, 2006, 04:21 AM
go with plain "old" debian. dont use the stable version as it is way too old. ive been using debian SID (software in development), the "unstable" branch, which has never crashed or done anything bad. the worst thing has been a broken package about every month (broken package just means a dependency isnt in the repositories or not at a high enough version). but just wait a couple of days and voila. i hate having "releases" like ubuntu has b/c of changing packages (one is supposed to be installed like a new font package but doesn't happen in apt-get dist-upgrade). in debian unstable or testing just apt-get upgrade and have latest and greatest packages with amazing stability.
ps. if you dont believe me about stability, i started with ubuntu but found it too unstable so switched to debian. dont get mad at me, b/c i still support and recommend the ubuntu project:D