PDA

View Full Version : Computer VS TV.....Who wins ?

linuxyogi
June 6th, 2019, 03:27 PM
How much time do you spend in front of the computer in comparison to your TV ?

Who wins ? Computer or TV ?

Tadaen_Sylvermane
June 6th, 2019, 04:00 PM
I use my 4k 55" tv as a monitor? Does that count as both :) I have to be interactive. I don't understand how anyone can just sit and stare at a screen without being involved. When I try to watch a movie I usually last 5-10 minutes then I have to get up and find something to do. Made more stupid by the fact that my media server is at 773 movies right now not including tv series seasons. I haven't watched more than 1/4 of them. I just like to collect... The wife can sit there for hours staring at movies and stuff though. Server is mainly for her use.

*EDIT* Come to think of it my parents spend a ton of time watching tv as well. They say it watches them. Retired with nothing better to do. I don't know how they do it day in and day out. I guess I'm the odd one out in this family.

olduse78802
June 6th, 2019, 04:03 PM
my tv is part of my computer a usb wintv i can do work and watch tv at same time.

cruzer001
June 6th, 2019, 04:39 PM
my tv is part of my computer a usb wintv i can do work and watch tv at same time.

Same here, a media player in a small window in the corner of the screen to watch whatever while I work away. And I'm using that "work" term very loosely :)

@linuxyogi
You should try making a poll, see what sort of stats you end up with.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=726458

linuxyogi
June 6th, 2019, 04:43 PM
@cruzer001 (https://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=2084993)

Poll created. Thanks.

1fallen
June 6th, 2019, 05:10 PM
When I was younger, the tv won out, now older and wiser :lolflag: the computer wins out hands down...

PJs Ronin
June 7th, 2019, 01:02 AM
I've watched about 4 hours of TV in the past 10 years, and they were all Rabbitborough shows. Computer for me.

lisati
June 7th, 2019, 01:30 AM
We still use our TV for entertainment purposes. With the advent of digital TV, and 20+ free-to-air stations, there is often (but not always) something that takes our fancy.

Being an older CRT based TV that probably should have been retired several years ago, our TV needs a bit of help via a set top box, which not only takes care of digital TV reception and DVR functionality, but can play DVDs (our collection has grown somewhat over the years), and play Youtube, which Mrs Lisati uses for her fix of musc videos.

I resort to online stuff on my laptop when Mrs Lisati's choice of viewing doesn't take my fancy.

mastablasta
June 7th, 2019, 07:30 AM
kids occupied my PC, so TV now. otherwise it would be PC.

yetimon_64
June 7th, 2019, 02:49 PM
Since I left Windows and started using Linux I never feel like punching out the computer any more, can't say the same for the TV as it regularly gets my blood boiling. The computer wins out easily here.

Cheers, yeti. :-)

kurt18947
June 8th, 2019, 01:52 PM
PC over TV for me. When I watch TV - it' usually YouTube or Amazon Prime. The only live TV I watch is local news or American Football.

deraespieterjan
June 13th, 2019, 04:44 PM
If it wasn't for my Xbox, I wouldn't spend barely any time in front of the TV.

Although every once in a while, we'll watch Supernatural on the TV as opposed to a laptop, so there's that :lol:

theaccountant
June 29th, 2019, 08:48 AM
If it's a smart TV, why not? :D

Irihapeti
June 29th, 2019, 08:55 AM
I don't have a TV, so it makes it a rather easy question to answer!

poorguy
June 29th, 2019, 05:53 PM
I can somewhat control the stupidity on the computer vs the stupidity on the TV so yeah the computer wins.

Pl29MEW2
June 29th, 2019, 06:26 PM
Computer wins, without question.
Tv has so much crap on it nowadays so I see no real reason to turn it on anymore, except for some netflix.

Carpentr
June 29th, 2019, 07:44 PM
Definitely computer. I do stream TV on my PC though after having cut cable. Way cheaper. Should have done it ages ago.

DuckHook
July 1st, 2019, 04:18 AM
Computer over TV by about 10 to 1 for me.

The little TV that I watch is almost all documentaries and science/art programming on PBS. If that channel were to disappear, I would never glance at the glass teat.

However, I am finding that the computer is starting to resemble the TV of yesteryear more and more. It's gravitating to being a consumption medium generally. The "interactive" aspect is quickly disappearing. Surfing, YouTube, Spotify, Twitter, gaming… these and dozens of others are almost all one-way activities. Sometimes, it feels like we are expected to open up our skulls and let the "content providers" fill it with whatever they deem fit.

The vision of individual empowerment and liberation that Tim Berners Lee harboured for his marvellous creation feels like a distant and naïve illusion in the modern Internet space where so many embrace being receptacles instead of active agents.

uRock
July 1st, 2019, 03:18 PM
Computer wins hands down. When I move to the living room to watch TV, there's a laptop waiting for me to pick up where I left off. The laptop stays on and usually has my Motion cameras set to full screen, so I can see what's going on in front of my house without opening the blinds. I don't really need to monitor the front yard anymore, as I no longer live in a gang infested neighborhood of Las Vegas, but old habits die hard.

oksanareynuk
July 13th, 2019, 07:49 AM
Definitely a computer. Who ever needs this zombie box?))

cellsite60
July 14th, 2019, 05:45 AM
Computer, everytime :D

speedwell68
July 15th, 2019, 08:41 AM
TV and PC merged for me quite some time for me. I have a Raspberry Pi for Kodi in every room. I have a media server that also acts as a PVR that records any shows I want for me. I have a Raspberry Pi automation server that I use to voice control my Kodi boxes, turn on/off my TVs, control my AVR and switch on my Xbox (I am trying to turn my Nintendo Switch on via voice, but Nintendo aren't keen on the idea). My PC has a TV hooked up to it for using Kodi. I have a Chromebook for casting YouTube to Kodi and to augment the viewing experience. I haven't watched broadcast TV in many years. Everything runs on Linux (Xububtu, LibreELEC and Raspbian). I like to think that my whole house is now a computer.

For the record I am not using Kodi with moody addons, all of my content comes from legitimate sources.

uRock
July 15th, 2019, 03:13 PM
TV and PC merged for me quite some time for me. I have a Raspberry Pi for Kodi in every room. I have a media server that also acts as a PVR that records any shows I want for me. I have a Raspberry Pi automation server that I use to voice control my Kodi boxes, turn on/off my TVs, control my AVR and switch on my Xbox (I am trying to turn my Nintendo Switch on via voice, but Nintendo aren't keen on the idea). My PC has a TV hooked up to it for using Kodi. I have a Chromebook for casting YouTube to Kodi and to augment the viewing experience. I haven't watched broadcast TV in many years. Everything runs on Linux (Xububtu, LibreELEC and Raspbian). I like to think that my whole house is now a computer.

For the record I am not using Kodi with moody addons, all of my content comes from legitimate sources.

I haven't turned on my Kodi Pi since last summer. My favorite add-on stopped being dependable.

portalhavoc
July 16th, 2019, 06:17 AM
I use my computer more than my TV. (I mostly use my TV to stream YouTube through my Chromecast.)