PDA

View Full Version : Update from 17.04 to 18.04 by Reinstalling

kodingkoning
June 4th, 2019, 02:11 AM
I am currently running an installation of Ubuntu 17.04. I want to update it to 18.04. Because I'm running 17.04, I can't update through the updater. I am also running into issues with "sudo apt-get update", so that's preventing me from updating that way.

I am running Ubuntu as a partition alongside Windows with GNU GRUB.

I would like to uninstall this version and install the latest version. How can I do this?

I have everything backed up in my Ubuntu partion, so I am anticipating losing all the information there, but I don't want to lose Windows data, if possible.

Bashing-om
June 4th, 2019, 02:54 AM
kodingkoning; Hello

End-Of-Life is when security updates and support for an Ubuntu release stop, see
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EOL for more info. Looking to upgrade from an EOL release? See
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EOLUpgrades

You re looking at a lengthy process and a lot of bandwidth:
17.04 -> 17.10 (EOL) -> 18.04
A fresh install of 18.04; choose the install method "something else" and point the installer to the partition that is presently occupied by the 17.04 install.
To know the target:

sudo parted -l

my bit to try and help

kodingkoning
June 11th, 2019, 08:00 PM
Hi Bashing-om,

Thank you for the info about EoL releases. Based on a previous thread I started, I concluded that it would be better for me to go with a clean install because I was running into many issues with the upgrades.

Would there be a way, say, to create a new installation in the partition that already exists without dealing with the 17.04 issues?

Thanks.

tea for one
June 11th, 2019, 09:41 PM
Would there be a way, say, to create a new installation in the partition that already exists without dealing with the 17.04 issues? Thanks.

Yes, it was mentioned in Bashing-om's post
A fresh install of 18.04; choose the install method "something else" and point the installer to the partition that is presently occupied by the 17.04 install.

I would also advise that you have full back-ups of your Widows partitions before installing 18.04 where 17.04 used to live.

Back-ups and the confidence in restoring back-ups are essential, not only for peace of mind but also for good housekeeping.