PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Kernel 5.0.0 does not boot after upgrade to 19.04 (old kernel 4.18.0 works)

lifesizejesus
June 1st, 2019, 04:07 PM
I upgraded my Xubuntu 18.10 installation to 19.04 and my laptop won't boot anymore unless I choose the older kernel version. I tried Xubuntu 19.04 live USB and it works. I assume it uses 5.0.0 kernel by default.

I get a lot of ACPI related errors, so I tried passing acpi=off in kernel parameters. It got rid of the BIOS errors, but apart from those it looks the same:

https://i.postimg.cc/NF25Lc3z/kernel5boot2.jpg

Apparently it can't find the root partition, but I don't think there's anything wrong with my partitions because the older kernel boots up just fine. Any ideas on what's going on here?

ubfan1
June 2nd, 2019, 11:06 PM
Try booting the older kernel, and then run sudo update-grub. That should ensure the UUID is used on the kernel boot line for root= xxx. There was an old bug, which may be back, which used a device instead of the UUID, If you save a copy of /boot/grub/grub.cfg before the update-grub, you can do a diff with the old and new versions to see if anything was changed.

lifesizejesus
June 3rd, 2019, 04:52 PM
I ran 'sudo update-grub', but it didn't make any changes to grub.cfg

lifesizejesus
June 3rd, 2019, 05:57 PM
Solved it!

For some reason the upgrade had removed cryptsetup packages, so it couldn't see my encrypted LVM partitions. I booted up using the old kernel, reinstalled the cryptsetup package. At next boot it asked for the encryption password and booted up without problems!