PDA

View Full Version : Constant Screen Tearing

ytterbious
May 30th, 2019, 09:39 PM
I am running 18.04, and I have a Radeon R9 290 video card. On Youtube, in Chrome, no matter what I do, I get screen tearing. What I have done so far (to seemingly no effect) is:

Tried both AMDGPU and Radeon video drivers
Tried both Wayland and Xorg
Turned off Chrome's hardware acceleration feature in the settings,
In CCSM, I went to Utility > Workarounds and turned on
Force full screen redraws (buffer swap) on repaint,
Force complete redraw on initial damage, and
Don't wait for video sync
Added the "TearFree" option with the "on" boolean to
/etc/X11/xorg.conf,
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-radeon.conf,
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-amdgpu.conf, and
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/xorg.conf

All of these came from tutorials I found on Google, promising to forever eliminate screen tearing. However after weeks of this, I've still had no luck.

Any ideas?

arkeo
December 31st, 2019, 06:37 AM
Hi, have you solved the issue?
I always had the same problem (countless HW configs, AMD Ryzen 5 laptop right now on Ubuntu 20.04). The weird part is, (I'm talking about Netflix on Firefox) if I watch a video in a window there's no tearing. If I enter full screen the video becomes unwatchable. Which is the opposite to what happens on Windows on the same HW (I'm guessing it all becomes a DirectWhatever layer, the GPU takes over, no fans spinning, almost negligible battery drain).
Any ideas?

Thanks In Advance...

xadder
February 28th, 2020, 01:13 PM
Just my experience: I switched from xubuntu 19.10 to unbuntu 19.10, and am now also having trouble with youtube videos, but only in full-screen. I can watch other things (eg HBO, BBC iplayer) in full screen without problems, but youtube goes crazy. (xububntu was great for that, but I wanted the better HiDPI support promised by ubuntu-gnome, hence the switch.)