PDA

View Full Version : At first it was limited to "The Cafe" now activity in every forum in low

linuxyogi
May 30th, 2019, 01:59 PM
Hi,

I read the entire ubuntuforums. Most of the sections. Its my way of coping with stress.

I enjoy it a lot but for the past few months I am noticing less and less replies to threads

created. The number of new threads created is still high but the replies are really low.

At first this same thing occurred to "The Cafe" but now all forums are showing low

activity. Why? What happened ? The Linux Mint forums are still very active.

kc1di
May 30th, 2019, 02:34 PM
One thing I've noticed is that as spring and summer approach in the Northern regions activity levels seem to drop a bit. so I suspect that it's partially caused by people being out and about a bit more and not on the web so much. Also the threads are becoming more and more specific in their requests that are not so general in their scope so less people available to answer. Mint Forums do go through the same cycle but it's less pronounced. Just my own observation not proof behind it :)

linuxyogi
May 31st, 2019, 09:37 AM
When will the view count of thread be fixed in this forum ?

Its been a long time since its off.

pteryges
June 2nd, 2019, 06:18 PM
Platforms have changed. The Linux subs on reddit are all active, as well as Linux Discords and the like.

TheFu
June 2nd, 2019, 06:45 PM
I answer fewer threads for a number of reasons. My reasons:

a) I don't install non-LTS releases. 19.04 stuff doesn't interest me, so I don't have any experience with it. This also means I simply don't have the knowledge to be of any use.
b) I tend to avoid answering GUI questions.
c) Many questions are trivially answered via google. IMHO, anyone choosing to run a Linux-based OS should be comfortable using google to find trivial answers.
d) Inappropriate tone in the questions go unanswered.
e) Simple questions don't always have simple answers. Usually, there are 50 possible answers for most questions. Getting the needed data to narrow down the possible answers can be like pulling teeth. Most of the time, we ask for some data, perhaps 3 commands, but the OP ignores those requests for facts.
f) nobody will RTFM anymore. Many server questions have full and complete answers in the manpages.
g) many questions aren't about Ubuntu or even debian-based OSes.

Some days I just don't have the time to help someone really new. Asking for "detailed steps", warns me not to get involved. Guess I'm just grumpy in my old age. Sometimes I'm not the best at providing detailed, perfect, steps. Last week, I said to use sudo vgchange -y when I meant to say sudo vgchange -ay. The OP didn't recognize the problem (why should he?), but none of the steps after that worked.

Frogs Hair
June 2nd, 2019, 09:14 PM
One thing I've noticed is that as spring and summer approach in the Northern regions activity levels seem to drop a bit.

This affects my own activity greatly. The types of questions have changed over time due to changes and improvements with the various desktop environments . Many people are searching web and getting answers so no need to post or join . I see more difficult questions compared to when I joined the forums.

ajgreeny
June 2nd, 2019, 09:29 PM
This affects my own activity greatly. The types of questions have changed over time due to changes and improvements with the various desktop environments . Many people are searching web and getting answers so no need to post or join . I see more difficult questions compared to when I joined the forums.
Same here!

I've been a forum member since July 2005 and answered many more questions (and posed them as well) than I now do largely, I think, because Ubuntu and its DE varieties have become so much easier to install and use than they were even 10 years ago.

Questions posed now are often incredibly technical and require very particular knowledge of, for example, networking protocols or hardware, and are therefore way beyond my ability to answer in a meaningful way, though I may ask the poster for more information to allow others to give better answers.

1fallen
June 2nd, 2019, 09:42 PM
TheFu hit mine right on the head>>>" Inappropriate tone in the questions go unanswered.";)
In fact if there is enough of them going on while I'm logged in, I'll just leave the forums and do something more worth while. :p
I mean seriously, they ask for help with both guns just a blazing.:rolleyes: