PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] After fresh install have a couple of error

xendistar2
May 29th, 2019, 08:03 PM
I have done a fresh install of Xubuntu 19.04 and have a couple of issue that I have not been able to resolve.

After the install I ran an update and I now have a package that will not install Linux-Firmware, it gives the following error

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-firmware_1.178.1_all.deb: cannot copy extracted data for './lib/firmware/iwlwifi-7260-7.ucode' to '/lib/firmware/iwlwifi-7260-7.ucode.dpkg-new': unexpected end of file or stream.

Secondly, The time is wrong on my PC, it is one hour behind, I have tried manually changing the time, I have tried setting the time using hwclock on the cli, I have setup ntp and told xubuntu to use ntp to sync the time but my pc still sits 1 hour behind. My Time zone is Europe London

Thirdly, when I right click on a file to get the context menu, it has a scroll up and down option, is there an option to do away with this and have a fixed length menu please

If anybody can please advise the best way to resolve any of the above I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

1fallen
May 29th, 2019, 08:34 PM
Sounds like a rename problem:
"sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite <filename>"
So I think this "should" work for your case:

sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-firmware_1.178.1_all.deb
We only do one question per thread>>>>but to set your time:
Use timedatectl

sudo timedatectl set-timezone <timeszone>

Examples:

Timezone as EST

sudo timedatectl set-timezone EST

Timezone as UTC

sudo timedatectl set-timezone UTC

Listing all valid Timezones

timedatectl list-timezones

This command is perfect for automation scripts since it doesn't require any user interaction while compared to any given answer based on dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

xendistar2
May 29th, 2019, 08:57 PM
Sounds like a rename problem:
"sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite <filename>"
So I think this "should" work for your case:

sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-firmware_1.178.1_all.deb
We only do one question per thread>>>>but to set your time:
<snip>

When I tried I get the following:

mit@andora:~$ sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-firmware_1.178.1_all.deb(Reading database ... 196107 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../linux-firmware_1.178.1_all.deb ...
Unpacking linux-firmware (1.178.1) over (1.178) ...
dpkg-deb (subprocess): decompressing archive member: lzma error: compressed data is corrupt
dpkg-deb: error: <decompress> subprocess returned error exit status 2
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-firmware_1.178.1_all.deb (--install):
cannot copy extracted data for './lib/firmware/iwlwifi-7260-7.ucode' to '/lib/firmware/iwlwifi-7260-7.ucode.dpkg-new': unexpected end of file or stream

Thanks for the additional information, I will try it and reply with new threads if I have further issue

1fallen
May 29th, 2019, 09:23 PM
Well this is kind of a nukular approach>>>but try this, and post back the results if any.
**Warning** to have proper back-ups in place before proceeding.

sudo rm -rf /lib/firmware/iwlwifi-7260-7.ucode.dpkg-new

xendistar2
May 29th, 2019, 10:08 PM
OK the file is still listed in synaptics to be installed but at least now I can unselect it, just need to remember to make sure I do not select it in the future.

Would it be worth downloading the individual file from somewhere and installing it manually or just wait until the next version is released?

1fallen
May 29th, 2019, 10:32 PM
Well let it install this time, lets see what happens.

xendistar2
May 30th, 2019, 05:41 PM
Well let it install this time, lets see what happens.

Got the same error

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-firmware_1.178.1_all.deb: cannot copy extracted data for './lib/firmware/iwlwifi-7260-7.ucode' to '/lib/firmware/iwlwifi-7260-7.ucode.dpkg-new': unexpected end of file or stream

xendistar2
May 31st, 2019, 07:59 PM
Here a more detail of the failure to install

(Reading database ... 198211 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../linux-firmware_1.178.1_all.deb ...
Unpacking linux-firmware (1.178.1) over (1.178) ...
dpkg-deb (subprocess): decompressing archive member: lzma error: compressed data is corrupt
dpkg-deb: error: <decompress> subprocess returned error exit status 2
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-firmware_1.178.1_all.deb (--unpack):
cannot copy extracted data for './lib/firmware/iwlwifi-7260-7.ucode' to '/lib/firmware/iwlwifi-7260-7.ucode.dpkg-new': unexpected end of file or stream

1fallen
May 31st, 2019, 08:10 PM
Well we now know how to fix it.
As to your prior question>>"Would it be worth downloading the individual file from somewhere and installing it manually? "
It would end the same I'm afraid.:(>>>I would just pin it not to install, unless you need it, and if that's the case I don't have a solution for that .(Sorry my friend :()
EDIT: You did run apt clean first.

sudo apt clean && sudo apt autoremove