PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 18.04 LTS on Win 10

BigYellowDog
May 25th, 2019, 06:10 PM
After I run apt update & apt upgrade in the Linux subsystem on Windows 10, I can not restart the Ubuntu shell. The shell opens up but it is just a blank terminal, no prompt.

I tried uninstalling Ubuntu & reinstalling with no success. The only fix is to remove %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Packages\CanonicalGrou pLimited.Ubuntu18.04onWindows_79rhkp1fndgsc folder and
reinstall the Ubuntu subsystem from the Microsoft store. I have been able to replicate this.

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, if not please recommend a more appropriate place.

yancek
May 26th, 2019, 11:05 AM
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, if not please recommend a more appropriate place.

This is windows software and the link below is to the microsoft site with an explanation on installing it. Doing an online search for " linux subsystem for windows" will give you a number of resultls.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-win10

BigYellowDog
May 28th, 2019, 02:49 PM
My question was not about how to install linux subsystem for windows, I've been running it for over a year. My question is once it is installed apt update & apt upgrade breaks the program.

yetimon_64
May 28th, 2019, 04:07 PM
This is windows software and the link below is to the microsoft site...

@ OP, that link also has troubleshooting and FAQs sections you should utilize.

At the bottom of the troubleshooting section is a product feedback link that you should use for this situation, see next screenshot.

apt update & apt upgrade breaks the program. The Microsoft WSL application does not support all linux features, don't assume it is apt that is breaking your WSL program. Running apt on an installation that does not support all linux features is likely to cause problems like this, report the problem to Microsoft being that the problem is just as likely to be with one of their products. They are more likely to be able to fix this for you.

Regards, yeti.