PDA

View Full Version : Will Lubuntu 18.04 still be able to install security updates subsequent to EOL?

roler2
May 21st, 2019, 11:39 PM
I understand the need for the demise of the bit rot Lubuntu LXDE Desktop, which I find very easy to configure and utilize, on my very old. . .but still wonderful. . . and I suppose bit rot. . .32-bit Dell P4. At the same time, I am saddened because I will have to give up my trusty 32-bit, which runs much better than my 64-bit, yet the 32-bit is 5 years older, and give up the bit rot Lubuntu LXDE Desktop, which has provided me with excellent and reliable usage, ever since 14.04. Bit rot has been very good to me.

So. . .will there be any way to install security/application updates to Lubuntu 18.04 subsequent to the EOL? I understand the Lubuntu LXDE Desktop won't be updated, but what about the Kernel and other necessary updates, such as Firefox or other Programs? Will they still be updated through the Ubuntu Repositories and respective PPA's until 2023, the EOL for regular Ubuntu?

If so, I will be glad to stick with my trusty, reliable bit rot 32-bit Lubuntu until 2023.

Please advise. Thank you!

I am lost with LXQT. Completely baffled. Couldn't even configure the Task Bar. Very frustrating. I also tried the vanilla LXDE and could not configure that either. The Lubuntu LXDE Desktop has, for me, been extremely user friendly, stable and reliable.

CatKiller
May 22nd, 2019, 12:31 AM
The flavours use the same repositories as the base Ubuntu. All the packages that are maintained by Ubuntu will get the updates. Any packages that are only maintained by the Lubuntu project will only get the updates that they do.

roler2
May 22nd, 2019, 01:54 AM
Lubuntu LTS is for three years. Ubuntu LTS is for 5 years. So will I receive the Lubuntu specific updates until April, 2021 and the Ubuntu specific updates (like the kernel) until April, 2023? Or will I stop receiving all updates in April, 2021?

kurt18947
May 22nd, 2019, 02:10 AM
Maybe look beyond Lubuntu? There are 32 bit spins based on Lubuntu which are lightweight and supported. Peppermint is one example, LXLE is another. I haven't used LXLE for some time but when I did experiment with it I preferred it over Lubuntu. If you don't care for the default apps, you can install those you prefer.

roler2
May 22nd, 2019, 06:14 AM
LXLE install crashed at 22% and so did SparkyLinux at the same 22%. Could not configure Peppermint.

kurt18947
May 22nd, 2019, 12:30 PM
LXLE install crashed at 22% and so did SparkyLinux at the same 22%. Could not configure Peppermint.
I ran into the stalled install problem with several *buntu live DVDs. I think it had to do with the graphics hardware. I ended up with Q4OS on that PIII machine.