PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Lubuntu panel

Liamdale
May 17th, 2019, 04:35 PM
I have just installed Lubuntu on an old computer which I keep for my E-Mails and file storage. I am having problems with the quick launch panel. I can't seem to be able to add applications to the panel. The documentation and other research says to left click on the application and drag it to the bottom panel. This does not work. As I am dragging I get a green ok icon when over the desktop but as I drag over the panel the icon changes to the red forbidden icon. The panel configuration is no help.

What am I missing? Launching applications from the panel should be basic and the setup easy

Enigma12
May 17th, 2019, 05:11 PM
Have you tried RIGHT clicking on the quick launch area, then using the "Application Launch and Task Bar" Settings that comes up? I've done this to have exactly the items that I want there. It should work for you as well. If not, maybe someone else has the solution.

Dennis N
May 17th, 2019, 06:48 PM
Which version of Lubuntu? Drag and Drop only works with Lubuntu 18.10 and 19.04. The trick is you have to drop it over the quicklaunch bar, not elsewhere on the panel. Then it adds the icon. It initially goes to the right of the existing icons. Then adjust position with 'right-click > move left' if desired.

If you use 18.04, follow post #2 advice, which doesn't apply in 18.10 or 19.04.

Note: Your 'Distro' entry says Ubuntu 18.04 so we can't tell from that.

Liamdale
May 17th, 2019, 07:24 PM
I have finally understood how the panel works. Reviewing and experimenting with the panel configuration I discovered that the task manager takes up most of the panel. I reduced the maximum button size which seems to reduce the task manager size. I then succeeded in inserting application Icons on the panel. In other distros I have used the task manager and panel seem to be integrated.

I will also update my distro information

egeezer
May 18th, 2019, 10:54 PM
There's a good section on the Panel and other configuration tricks in the Lubuntu Manual
https://manual.lubuntu.me/