PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Windows XP and Ubuntu install won't work

acefromspace
May 11th, 2019, 07:27 PM
I was trying to do dual boot... windows xp (to use a canon printer, will never see internet) and ubuntu 16.04 Tried windows xp install disc and it started, then said I have no hard drive. Then tried ubuntu install disc and it started, then went to black window with text and numbers. I suspected my hard drive might be messed up, so used disk utility in my current ubuntu 14.04 and did self-test. Shows OK with only 233 bad sectors (has shown this before) I'm guessing windows install saw bad sectors where master boot record should go, but ubuntu install should not care. Does that make sense? Also tried a bootable usb ubuntu install and same thing happened. When I did self-test should it have marked bad sectors and set to ignore or do I need to do this myself? Hard drive shows up in bios also. It is older toshiba laptop (satellite 205) Currently using ubuntu 14.04 and seems OK, but I have had system errors before. 14.04 is no longer supported... should I just keep it anyway? I assume there is no use doing updates. By the way, maybe don't need windows if my canon scanner (canoscan 9950F) will work. Have never used WINE, but willing to try (I do have the windows driver)