PDA

View Full Version : Hang after upgrading from 18.04 to 18.10

Edward_Diener
May 10th, 2019, 04:29 AM
I did the graphical upgrade to go from 18.04 to 18.10. On the bootup screen for 18.10 I see the message:

"fsckd-cancel-msg: Press Ctrl-C to cancel all filesystem checks"

but nothing further happens and pressing Ctrl-C does nothing. I have a full backup of everything so I can always go back to 18.04, but does anyone know what might be causing my hang after rebooting to the upgraded version ?

hashen
May 10th, 2019, 05:40 AM
when boot screen appears press Ctrl+Alt+F1 and login.

then
TRY 01

sudo fdisk -l
identify the boot record. (Linux File System)
sudo fsck -f /dev/(harddisk address sdb1 or whatever)
Do it again if there were errors
then reboot.

TRY 02
boot to a Ubuntu Live DVD Or USB
go to terminal
sudo fsck -f /dev/sda4
sudo fsck -f /dev/sda1
sudo fsck -f /dev/sdb1
sudo fsck -f /dev/sda5

And Reboot

Or like in try 01
Try to Revert the Upgrade (Acucally Its Downgrade:p)

Edward_Diener
May 12th, 2019, 08:13 PM
when boot screen appears press Ctrl+Alt+F1 and login.

then
TRY 01

sudo fdisk -l
identify the boot record. (Linux File System)
sudo fsck -f /dev/(harddisk address sdb1 or whatever)
Do it again if there were errors
then reboot.

TRY 02
boot to a Ubuntu Live DVD Or USB
go to terminal
sudo fsck -f /dev/sda4
sudo fsck -f /dev/sda1
sudo fsck -f /dev/sdb1
sudo fsck -f /dev/sda5

And Reboot

Or like in try 01
Try to Revert the Upgrade (Acucally Its Downgrade:p)

TRY 01 did not work. I was able to do TRY 02 with a Ubuntu 18.04 boot disk but there were no disk problems and when I then attempted to boot 18.10 afterward the same hangup occurred. I restored my backups successfully and now I am in 18.04 again.

I think, from searching the Internet, that the problem may be a bug in the upgrade process when using proprietary video drivers for my NVidia GTX 960 graphic card. I do not recall switching to proprietary drivers from the generic ones, so maybe you might know how I can check what I am using in Ubuntu 18.04. Evidently the bug workaround seems to be changing back to the generic drivers for the upgrade and then, after the upgrade has been successfully installed, changing back again to the proprietray drivers. Of course I could be wrong about the cause of the problem I am seeing when upgrading from 18.04 to 18.10, but it definitely is not because of parttition problems on my 18.04 system.