PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 18.04.2 power down issue

hake2
May 5th, 2019, 03:02 PM
It appears that unless the user is logged off before powering down, the next startup can be a mess of error messages and an unresponsive system. On my system at least, Ubuntu 18.04.2 is unreliable at startup. It usually starts OK after disconnecting and reconnection the laptop's power supply and then runs without problems.

Autodave
May 5th, 2019, 04:22 PM
Tell us about your system then: make, model, etc. Was this a clean install or did you upgrade from a previous version?

hake2
May 7th, 2019, 07:47 PM
My Ubuntu 18.04.2 installation has suddenly and quickly gone downhill. It was OK once started but took an awful long time to get started before I even saw the logon box. It's a shame because it showed much promise. By contrast Lubuntu 16.04 is a solidly consistent performer. I will stick with it as it enables productive use of a 15 year-old system with an AMD Sempron 3000+ single core 64bit processor and it goes tolerably well. It makes a good secure platform for my online banking.

hake2
May 7th, 2019, 07:49 PM
It was a clean install on a Toshiba Satellite Pro P200 laptop. I guess that the software supporting the hardware was not quite right. I have decided to install Windows 10.

mörgæs
May 7th, 2019, 07:57 PM
I guess you will be better off with Xubuntu or Lubuntu.

hake2
May 13th, 2019, 11:21 AM
Having substituted Windows 10 Pro(64bit) for Ubuntu 18.04.2, I have also realised problems which I now think are down to the Toshiba Satellite Pro P200 laptop. Windows 10 has once displayed a 'stopcode' for a memory management issue. It otherwise runs well but I thought I should mention this in the cause of not apportioning blame to Ubuntu.