PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] It appears that installing OpenLDAP broke SSH

thekirkwoods
May 4th, 2019, 03:08 PM
I've been searching for a week and can't seem to find a solution. So, I need your help.

I am using Ubuntu 18.10.

Basically, I've installed OpenLDAP (I'm still really new at it, so it's just in a test phase), and within the LDAP server are two usernames, 'john' and 'test'.

I can 'su john' just fine, all works as expected. In fact, I believe (and I'll check again) that I can even 'su matt', which is a name which was added directly to the Ubuntu OS as a standard user.

However, I can't SSH to any user, even if that user is in the LDAP server or just in the OS. When I attempt to SSH, the process hangs for a moment, and eventually says 'Incorrect Password'. This is causing other additional problems that I need to solve.

Anyways, I could just post a bunch of config files and settings, or I could just start from scratch and open the forum for a conversation. Please question me and ask to see copies of various files, screenshots or whatever, and I'll post them to facilitate the troubleshooting process. In return, please let me know if there is a specific area of detail I may have overlooked.

Thanks again!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update May 5, 2019
When I installed OpenLDAP, I did the following actions:

installed slapd and ldap-utils
dpkg-reconfigure slapd
ldapadd -x -D cn=admin,dc=practice,dc=net -W -f add_entries.ldif

When I installed the ldap client, I did the following actions:

installed libnss-ldap, libpam-ldap, and ldap-utils
sudo auth-client-config -t nss -p lac_ldap
sudo pam-auth-update
sudo gedit /etc/pam.d/common-session

I have attached a screenshot of my common-session file as well as a couple other screenshots.

Any advice that you all can add, would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

TheFu
May 4th, 2019, 03:20 PM
Installing openldap doesn't put the posix schema that is required for Unix logins. I don't know if it modifies the PAM files either. Last time I setup servers to use LDAP, all of that was manual configuration. I think there were around 10 steps to get a client authenticating to an LDAP server.

18.10 isn't LTS, so I won't touch it, especially on a server. 18.04 ... 20.04 are my next planned Ubuntu Installs. We're on 16.04 still and not in a hurry.

thekirkwoods
May 5th, 2019, 04:10 PM
Thanks for replying. I have the LDAP server and client working, sort of. I have another issue which I 'think' is a second issue, not related to this one. Basically, I can 'su' to the new user, but I can't seem to log into the Ubuntu OS using the new LDAP user. However, my first and most critical problem is that I have lost the ability to SSH.

If there's any chance that you have a different (better?) how-to guide on how to install an LDAP server and client, even on an older version of Ubuntu, I'd be very appreciative to have a copy.

Thanks again for your reply.

TheFu
May 5th, 2019, 05:09 PM
Did you update the sshd in /etc/pam.d/ to use LDAP?
Also,
https://wiki.debian.org/LDAP/PAM says:

If using OpenSSH, you may need to add "UsePAM yes" to sshd_config or it will not use PAM by default.

BTW, using sudo gedit isn't safe. It may have broken your ~/.config/ directories. Always use sudoedit to edit system files, except those with specific tools, like visudo.

thekirkwoods
May 5th, 2019, 08:08 PM
Yes, I have "UsePAM yes" set in my /etc/ssh/sshd_config file. I came across that too at one point, but determined it didn't aid in my solution. See the screenshot attached.

thekirkwoods
May 5th, 2019, 08:14 PM
Also, I attempted to do SSH using -vvv and received the output contained in the attached text file.