PDA

View Full Version : how to go from ubuntu 19.04 back to ubuntu 18.04?

katarina888
May 3rd, 2019, 08:28 AM
Hello, everyone! I'm new to ubuntu, so I think I've made a mistake by installing 19.04 version. Can you please help me to go back to 18.04? without loosing any data if possible, of course.

kc1di
May 3rd, 2019, 10:58 AM
Best way would be to back up your data on external media or cloud and do a complete new install of 18.04.
That way there will be no left overs of 19.04 to mess things up. Good Luck.

rocketshiptech
May 3rd, 2019, 12:22 PM
Just curious: Why do want to go back?
(haven't upgraded myself yet)

Rubi1200
May 3rd, 2019, 01:35 PM
Downgrading has as many potential pitfalls as upgrading. For example, when you upgrade certain packages and their dependencies are upgraded to fit with and make the new version happy. But when you downgrade not everything goes back to the way it was before.

If you can describe what the problems are perhaps we can help resolve them with you.

If not, then the only "safe" way is to do what kc1di suggested which is to backup important data and do a clean reinstall. Anything else is asking for problems again.

kryten35
May 4th, 2019, 12:31 AM
If you had created a timeshift snapshot(and included your home folder) before you did the upgrade then you could have easily gone back.

There is also clonezilla which will backup a drive image.Its best to do a clean install,upgrades are risky.Always create backups before you attempt an upgrade.