PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Missing volume control icon in system tray

knight69
April 24th, 2019, 08:04 PM
When I first upgraded to bionic, there was a volume control icon in the system tray, but it disappeared. There is no problem with my sound card and I can control the sound level with VLC or any other media player, When I launch VLC, an icon (a black rectangle with a red circle and slash through it) pops up in the system tray that provides a drop down menu with all the VLC controls, all of which work fine.) When I close VLC, the icon disappears.

Also, the icon for the system monitor is the funny looking "unknown application" icon rather than the correct Icon.

My desktop environment is gnome flashback compiz. I have tried a number of recommended solutions, but they are all different desktop configurations and don't work on my system. The problem is not serious as everything else is working perfectly, but it would be nice to have all the correct icons in the system tray.

CatKiller
April 25th, 2019, 12:55 AM
It might be as simple as the theme you're using not having an icon for that applet (so it's there, but you can't see it) or you might have inadvertently removed whichever indicator applet it was from your panel.

knight69
April 25th, 2019, 03:30 AM
The theme I'm using is the vanilla "Radiance" that installs by default.

Claus7
April 26th, 2019, 12:52 AM
Hello,

I'm using indicator applet complete and the volume icon is there under bionic. I cannot see any icon just for the volume control.

As far as the system monitor is concerned then you should be able to see a small preview for your system resources. I would advice you to take a look on synaptic package manager and remove anything related to unity and icons, reboot and check if the icons are the ones you expect. I had seen that there were some conflicts between them and that of flashback.

Regards!

Frogs Hair
April 26th, 2019, 02:16 AM
Try the command in post 2.
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2343039