PDA

View Full Version : Weird ssh issue (correct password)

coolcal2
April 16th, 2019, 03:45 PM
So, hi o/

I bought a server recently and installed ubuntu 18.04 server onto it, however, when I went to log into the server from my pc an issue arose in that I am unable to log into the server.

I have tried changing the config files, changing the user I tried to log in with and using keys.

It appears the ssh is rejecting external logins, not sure what to try thus why I have turned to the community for help,
thanks in advance.

benjaminsaulmcculloch
April 16th, 2019, 07:52 PM
Hey coolcal2,

Do you get any error message when try to login?

TheFu
April 16th, 2019, 08:02 PM
Did you install ssh-server?
Are you using the userid that was created during install? Don't use root.

SeijiSensei
April 16th, 2019, 08:12 PM
If you're logging in from a Linux client, use "ssh -v" to get more details on your session. Add more "v's", up to three, for more verbosity.

coolcal2
April 16th, 2019, 08:16 PM
Error messages, regardless of if the password being correct or not are Access Denied

coolcal2
April 16th, 2019, 08:20 PM
Ssh is set up correctly,
I have allowed root to connect. here is my /etc/ssh/sshd_config

PermitRootLogin yes
AuthorizedKeysFile .ssh/authorized_keys
PasswordAuthentication yes
ChallengeResponseAuthentication no
UsePAM yes
PrintMotd no # pam does that
Subsystem sftp /usr/lib/ssh/sftp-server

the issue appears to be something is not allowing access.

SeijiSensei
April 16th, 2019, 08:33 PM
Does the user have the same UID (e.g., 1000) on both machines? Are you sure the home directory of the user you're logging in as has the correct permissions?

Just choosing "PermitRootLogin" is not enough to allow root access. Does the remote's root user have a password? By default, root never has a password in Ubuntu; that's why the sudo mechanism is used throughout.

The best approach is to used shared keys: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SSH/OpenSSH/Keys

coolcal2
April 17th, 2019, 06:02 AM
Hi, sorry for the late reply.

I gave all accounts passwords and used puTTYgen for the keys. accounts should have correct permissions.