PDA

View Full Version : Templates for Your "Create Document" Menu

stalefries
August 22nd, 2006, 10:05 PM
I've made a set of documents for the "Create Document" submenu in the Nautilus context menu. You can read about them and download them here (http://stalefries.googlepages.com/howtosnautilustemplates).

Feel free to post your additions and modifications here, and I'll include them in future versions.

Edit: updated the linked page with some links to sites with more templates. (scroll to the bottom).

If you just want the templates now, do the following:

wget http://stalefries.googlepages.com/Templatesv4.zip

nwgray
August 23rd, 2006, 07:16 PM
stalefries
Thanks for the templates!! I dont' see them though when I right-click on the desktop and select Create Document. I put the folder in /home first and then /home/<username> but neither worked. Do I have to link it somehow? Any other places I should check?

stalefries
August 23rd, 2006, 07:47 PM
In "/home/username/Templates" place the documents you want. Make sure to unzip them. Make sure Templates is capitalized.

Also, glad to know that this got posted.

mejy
August 23rd, 2006, 08:04 PM
Is there any way to hide the folder? I think there's a config file you can put in your home directory to hide them in nautilus, but I can't remember the name. It's not really important, but I find the templates directory annoying :(.

Anyway, great collection of templates!

stalefries
August 23rd, 2006, 08:06 PM
I heard of something like that, and would love to have it, but I don't know anything about it. Sorry.

Edit: I usually hate about.com, but this time they managed to shine. Here's a link to some information on the topic.

http://linux.about.com/library/gnome/blgnome6n6r.htm

mejy
August 23rd, 2006, 08:57 PM
I heard of something like that, and would love to have it, but I don't know anything about it. Sorry.

Edit: I usually hate about.com, but this time they managed to shine. Here's a link to some information on the topic.

http://linux.about.com/library/gnome/blgnome6n6r.htm

Thats the one! I'd used it on my Horay -> Breezy install and couldn't find it when I did a fresh dapper install... nice job. :-D

Edit: It even hides them in the browse dialogue - that never worked in Horay/Breezy.

stalefries
August 24th, 2006, 05:06 AM
Good to know it worked. I had wanted to do this previously, but never got around to looking it up. Now I did, and it's great!

I imagine that extra functionality comes from the new version of Gnome/GTK. Each version brings new little tweaks that always make it better.

dj-toonz
August 24th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Hi all, just had a look @ the web site myself and been trying for ages hide the Templates folder from view aswell but everytime i add the . before the folder name the templates dont show up after i log off and log back in :-( on the site aswell it says or create a text file named .hidden in the same folder, and add its name to it, as in the example below:
filename foldername but i havent a clue what to enter for the filename foldername :-( what do i need to do to hide the folder but keep the templates what i want i.e .doc .txt and so on showing up when i right click and create template ? i've been going round and round in cicules for days trying to find it out, i can hide normall folders like the scripts and keep them showing up but not the templates :-( i must of overlooked something bu what, could somebody help me pls thx

SeanHodges
August 24th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Hopefully this will help: http://openofficetechnology.com/node/50

Change Template path to be .Template in the Templates path, then change the actual Template directory to include the dot prefix.

Hopefully the directory should then be hidden.

Sean

dj-toonz
August 24th, 2006, 02:11 PM
found it out after a google search :-p was getting confused as what to put where it says filename foldername for the .hidden file in ~home lol one of the sites it sent me to was gnome-look.org after typing in nautilue templates i just had to add a .hidden (name of file) in home then open it up with gedit and enter Templates (or what folder you want to hide) in the file then save & bob's your uncle , Templates is hidden and still showing up in create documents, phew , anyway now that's sorted good how two btw, learning new stuff about ubuntu every day what i never knew before & people are so helpfull aswell , cheers :-p

stalefries
August 24th, 2006, 10:43 PM
But that only works in OpenOffice. Although, it is a nice feature.

stalefries
August 25th, 2006, 05:13 AM
Just to make sure it shows up on the front page of the Tips 'n' Tricks subforum, I'm posting a reply here to let everyone know I've updated the files.

nwgray
August 25th, 2006, 05:24 PM
In "/home/username/Templates" place the documents you want. Make sure to unzip them. Make sure Templates is capitalized.

Also, glad to know that this got posted.

I had to create the folder Templates and then double-click the .zip file to open and then extract to that folder. I originally tried to just right click the zip file, select Extract Here, and then rename the folder to Templates. It is now working fine.

Thx stalefries!

stalefries
August 25th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Good to know it worked.

slibuntu
August 25th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Love it, easy install, great list, thanks!

judofyr
August 25th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Lovely! Very useful;)

juicymixx
August 25th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Hey stalefries, thanks for putting these templates together! I noticed that in my Dapper install choosing 'Create Document' will give me the options from the 'Templates' folder only when I'm in a Nautilus window, not on a blank area of the desktop. Is this normal behavior?:confused:

Thanks again!:rolleyes:

Kaobear
August 25th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Awesomely done, much kudos

Spudgun
August 25th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Worked great. The advice given on the authors site on how to hide the Templates file also worked.

stalefries
August 26th, 2006, 02:43 AM
juicymixx, it should work, unless you have a program other than nautilus controlling the desktop.
Or. if you have told Nautilus not to put icons on the desktop.

juicymixx
August 27th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Hey stalefries,
Thanks again for the templates! I've been using them like crazy!
I'm working out of a recent Dapper install. As far as I know, I have Nautilus controlling the desktop. Where would I go to find out if Nautilus can put icons on the desktop. If I create a file or folder using the templates, I can move it to the desktop... Just not create one on the desktop directly...:confused:

Thanks!

stalefries
August 27th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Hmm. In a terminal, open "gconf-editor". When it opens, navigate to "apps>nautilus>preferences". In the pane on the right, make sure that "show_desktop" is checked.

stalefries
August 31st, 2006, 09:23 PM
/Update bump!

Frostmourne
August 31st, 2006, 10:20 PM
I keep getting this error when trying to extract the zip, can anyone help me?

[/home/caleb/Desktop/Templatesv2.zip]
End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
the last disk(s) of this archive.
unzip: cannot find zipfile directory in one of /home/caleb/Desktop/Templatesv2.zip or
/home/caleb/Desktop/Templatesv2.zip.zip, and cannot find /home/caleb/Desktop/Templatesv2.zip.ZIP, period.

stalefries
August 31st, 2006, 11:05 PM
Someone PM'ed me about this problem, too. Apparently, Firefox mis-downloads the file, and stops about half-way through. His solution was to use the Firefox extension DownThemAll to download it. He said it worked doing it that way. You can find that extension here (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/201/).

I would post the file here, but it's just too darn big for the forum limits.

Frostmourne
August 31st, 2006, 11:52 PM
Thank you, I got it working. Instead of downloading more software I simply ran

wget http://alan.hussey.googlepages.com/Templatesv2.zip

from the terminal.

stalefries
September 1st, 2006, 12:42 AM
Good idea! I should've thought of that. I'll add it to the main post.

stalefries
October 7th, 2006, 02:48 AM
Does anyone know where the tags came from? Did I miss a memo? They're at the top of the page, below "HOWTOs, Tips & Tricks The place to find General, KDE, and Gnome Customization Tips & Tricks."

Anyone know what's up?

hikaricore
November 6th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Thank you for these :) Nice to see that menu not being empty anymore.

stalefries
November 7th, 2006, 01:17 AM
Glad you appreciate it. If I dig up anymore convenient files, I'll make a new version. Feel free to suggest new templates!

stalefries
December 15th, 2006, 06:03 AM
Edited a link in the first post. I plan on uploading a new version in the next few days.

stalefries
December 15th, 2006, 06:32 AM
New version posted! Not much new, I added a .xar file, and slightly reorganized it.

jdralphs
December 19th, 2006, 10:49 PM
I'm getting this error even when using wget.

End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
the last disk(s) of this archive.
unzip: cannot find zipfile directory in one of /home/jdralphs/Templatesv4.zip or
/home/jdralphs/Templatesv4.zip.zip, and cannot find /home/jdralphs/Templatesv4.zip.ZIP, period.

zerwas
December 19th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Same error here.

zanglang
December 20th, 2006, 05:58 AM
Is the version 4 zip file corrupted/not completely uploaded? The .hidden file is a nice trick though. Ah, something new to learn everyday. :P

stalefries
December 20th, 2006, 06:52 AM
I've uploaded a fixed version. Note to self: test everything before uploading it. :\

Howlin' Hobbit
December 24th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Ok. I have my Templates folder created, a couple templates in it and the folder hidden. It works except I have the same problem as juicymixx, when I click on the desktop to create a document it gives me "no templates installed." In the gconf editor under apps>nautilus>preferences "show_desktop" is checked.

What else am I missing?

stalefries
December 30th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Have you tried logging out/logging back in? If that didn't help, I would file a bug, since there's something wrong.

Howlin' Hobbit
December 31st, 2006, 01:31 AM
Have you tried logging out/logging back in?
Several times but I didn't think to re-test until your message came in. Looks like it's working now.

Thanks!

wzzrd
December 31st, 2006, 01:16 PM
Why are most of the OpenDocument templates real templates (ott instead of odt, for example)? IŽld think .odt would be more useful and more used than ott?

stalefries
January 2nd, 2007, 02:12 AM
In Openoffice, you can define custom locations for templates. Of course, they have to be real templates to work.

I may make a new version to fix this.

johntheunique
January 16th, 2008, 07:38 AM
I tried this and similar solutions and found it wasn't working for me with Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy). After some research I found the solution. This solution also allows the user to hide the templates folder. Just edit ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs and set the XDG_TEMPLATES_DIR to whatever you want it to be. If you want it hidden, just make sure to use a dot directory.

motoperpetuo
March 1st, 2008, 06:12 PM
thanks! this worked like a charm. i'd click on that little "thank you" link to do an official thank you, but it's nowhere to be found.

Palmyra
March 1st, 2008, 09:26 PM
For those who are having a problem with Nautilus recognize the newly extracted templates, understand that there is a problem that must be fixed first. Ideally, you would be able to follow the instructions the OP provided from the beginning and let it be. Because of an apparent problem with Gutsy, follow the second post in this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=590494

The problem is that, after you delete the original templates folder that was created by Ubuntu upon system installation, Nautilus will not recognize any user created templates folder. Also, a link that designates the templates folder you created is apparently faulty. The simple change mentioned in the second post in the above thread will solve this.

Now, when you extract templates into the Templates folder, you should be good to go. If you want to hide the folder, change the link to .Templates, and change the folder in Nautilus to .Templates. If this is too much of a problem, don't do it.

hezuo
January 21st, 2009, 11:22 PM
Thanks a lot! it did help me.

dimbulb1024
March 7th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Thanks stalefries. Just what I was looking for.

sanjiro
January 30th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Thanks a lot ! :)

howefield
January 30th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Old thread closed.