PDA

View Full Version : Praise Linux/Ubuntu Mate!

yamaharider
April 14th, 2019, 04:39 AM
So, about 4 days ago, I'm searching the internet for ways to play windows games on my Linux PC. I find this site on "How to install Lutris...". On this webpage it had 20 commands for you to enter in the terminal. And I, like the idiot I am, I enter all of them. After this, my system refuses to update. After trying to remove packages, fix broken packages, purge packages, update them, I started deleting random system files. I took out my File Manager, I took out my Update Manager, and I took out my package installer.

At this point I'm in "Repository Hell"! Either fix it by downloading all the repositories, or reinstall the OS. So I reinstall the OS, I get an EFI error. I partition the HDD, create a EFI partition, reinstall the OS again... The install (seems) got stuck in "Saving previous data" (or what ever the message was). This time, I get another error. The system asks me to restart. I restart the machine, get up to get a drink... When I come back I'm at my OLD login screen. At this point I'm TOTALLY SHOCKED! I login:

1. ALL my personal data is there, fully intact!
2. All my open tabs, still there! My history, still there!
3. All my settings, still here!
4. My customizations, icons, wallpaper all STILL HERE!

The only thing the install did was erase all the app's, installed the default ones, and left everything else alone! I go back to the app store, redownload all my programs, they all pop back up exactly where I positioned them, with the same exact settings I had before! I was so shocked, sooo thankful! I didn't lose anything! I praise the Linux community, I worship Ubuntu, and I bow to Ubuntu Mate's developers... You guys are LEGENDS! Hats off to you! Your talents, your gift, in crafting the perfect OS has saved all my data! THANK YOU! You're the Best!

DuckHook
April 14th, 2019, 04:59 AM
Though we are happy that you came out of this misadventure in one piece (and who wouldn't be?), you achieved it more by luck than anything else. Please see the link in my sig "Backup First!"

If you intend to play around with your OS to the point of breakage—and you should not fear doing so—it's a great way to learn—then do so in a VM with a known good snapshot. You can break that all you like and roll back to the snapshot every time.

FWIW, the Canonical developers rarely, if ever, visit these forums. We are all just regular Joes like you who have gathered together to help each other and share knowledge.

Good Luck and Happy Ubuntu-ing.