PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Canonical livepatch problem

Gingalone
April 12th, 2019, 09:45 AM
I have just bought a new laptop with Ubuntu 18.04 (Dell XPS 13) and got a problem with Livepatch, see attached screenshot.
It looks it is a problem with a particular kernel, so others should have the same problem...
Thanks for any help!283009

PaulW2U
April 12th, 2019, 10:16 AM
The error message is drawing your attention to your oem kernel variant which is presumably what you get when you buy a Dell laptop with Ubuntu pre-installed.

Take a look at the Livepatch (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Livepatch) wiki page. Livepatch is only available for the GA (General availability) and low-latency variants of the kernel.

Gingalone
April 16th, 2019, 01:40 PM
Thank you PaulW2U (and sorry for late reply)
Is it thinkable/convenient the install a kernel supported by Livepatch in my situation?

PaulW2U
April 16th, 2019, 04:12 PM
Is it thinkable/convenient the install a kernel supported by Livepatch in my situation?
I don't know. You have an oem kernel for a reason. May be a question for Dell if no one here knows why they install an oem kernel by default.

Although I have Livepatch activated, and I occasionally see patches applied, I reboot most days as I dual boot with Fedora. Rebooting after a kernel update is not a problem for me.

Do you really need Livepatch on your laptop? Not all updates can be applied by Livepatch and reboots to update the kernel will still be necessary from time to time.

Gingalone
April 17th, 2019, 02:04 PM
Thank you PaulW2U and no, I don't really need Livepatch, my interest was just for a novelty which promises some convenience on updates...
I have been using Ubuntu for 20 years and to restart my PC/laptop after an update was really a small problem!