PDA

View Full Version : ibm thinkpads

im_ka
April 5th, 2005, 11:12 PM
i've bought a t23 on ebay a month ago. it's a refurbished one, with the warranty extended til june. it broke 2 times in a month (well... ebay) but the service is excellent. and i don't mind at all that i got the motherboard and the hdd replaced just before the warranty runs out :)

ubuntu (and in linux in general, tried some distros) support is great for thinkpads, everything works. and they're really slick machines.

TravisNewman
April 6th, 2005, 12:27 AM
good to know. What are the specs on that baby, and how much did you pay?

I'm looking to get a laptop for us soon, and Linux support is a must. Of course, it IS IBM, so what do you expect ;)

bigzak
April 6th, 2005, 07:34 AM

I love the Thinkpads. Mine is a little long in the tooth, though (TP 600). However, you can get 2nd hand ones for relatively little now so I'm in two mind whether to save for months to get a brand spanking new one or just eBay a T23 or T22 8-[

Ubunted
April 6th, 2005, 08:14 AM
My Linux lappy is an A22m 1Ghz 512MB. Everything installed and runs fine, but it won't shut itself off and doesen't recognize the switch between battery and AC and vise versa. I'm hoping the final will fix this, but if not, no biggie. My USB thumbdrive works great on it, something it didn't do in Mandrake 10.1.

im_ka
April 6th, 2005, 09:54 AM

I'm looking to get a laptop for us soon, and Linux support is a must. Of course, it IS IBM, so what do you expect ;)

not the latest and the greatest, but excellent for everything but gaming.

866 mhz intel
256 mb ram
20 gb hdd
sound, lan, modem built in, 2xusb, 2xpcmcia, etc.
accupoint ("eraserhead")

i got a kyocera laser printer and a conceptronic (ralink chipset) wlan card with it, and it was 500 euros (usd 660). it'd probably be cheaper in the us, hardware is more expensive here on the old continent.

bigzak
April 6th, 2005, 01:44 PM
not the latest and the greatest, but excellent for everything but gaming.

Right, I've done it. Just bought a T21 from eBay.

800MHz
256Mb RAM
20Gb HDD

Apparently there is some sort of acpi bug with these, but just disabling acpi works fine. I'm a happy bunny! Or at least, I will be when it arrives and I get a portable ubuntu :)

kojitsu
April 21st, 2005, 06:23 PM
Wow, I feel quite outdated! I'm using a Thinkpad A20M that I got refurbished online a year ago. It's not top of the line (see stats below), but it runs well, doesn't give me issues, and is very pretty (thanks to all the bumper stickers added by friends and ex-girlfriends alike).

500 MHz Processor
128 MB RAM
8 MB VRAM

(I think all of this is correct, if I'm wrong, I appologize)

benplaut
April 21st, 2005, 07:03 PM
wow! i feal quite up to date!

Thinkpad T40 2373-7CU

40gb 5400rpm HDD
768mb RAM
Atheros A/B/G
14.1" XGA
CDRW/DVDROM

and a bunch of goodies :razz:

poofyhairguy
April 21st, 2005, 07:16 PM
Old laptops can go a long way with a little extra RAM.

somuchfortheafter
April 21st, 2005, 08:50 PM
well mine isnt ibm but ehh w/e
toshiba tecra m2
1.6ghz pentium m
2200b/g wireless
60gb hdd
dvd/cdrw combo
512mb ram
10/100/1000 ethernet
gforce fx 5200 64mb
smc 2532w-b high power wifi card
all works well but im having some monitor mode issues for the card mentioned above, probably gonna switch to the wlan-ng drivers as they fit the card better anyway/

benplaut
April 22nd, 2005, 03:05 AM
Old laptops can go a long way with a little extra RAM.

http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/eusa_dance.gif Another beleiver in the power of RAM!!! :grin:

the first thing i did when i got my thinkpad is upgrade it to 768 with a stick of ram i had salvaged from a dead Vaio http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/eusa_whistle.gif

MemoryDump
May 25th, 2005, 02:48 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/eusa_dance.gif Another beleiver in the power of RAM!!! :grin:

the first thing i did when i got my thinkpad is upgrade it to 768 with a stick of ram i had salvaged from a dead Vaio http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/eusa_whistle.gif

where would be the best place online (in Canada if possible) to get some extra RAM for a Thinkpad T22?

thxs
-MD

Dylanby
May 25th, 2005, 04:17 PM
MemoryDump, you could try TigerDirect.ca or CanadaComputers.com.
I'm sure there are others (locally I usually use Infonec).

poofyhairguy
May 25th, 2005, 07:03 PM
where would be the best place online (in Canada if possible) to get some extra RAM for a Thinkpad T22?

thxs
-MD

crucial's site.

Cheap RAM can be a waste of money when the computer won't boot.

http://www.crucial.com

mrtaber
May 25th, 2005, 08:27 PM
I swear by Crucial. I've never gotten a bum stick from them. They're worth the slight premium in my book :)

Mark

traveller
May 29th, 2005, 08:35 AM
I also love IBM Thinkpads. That's why I bought one recently (a G41), so as to be and work together!

zencoder
August 11th, 2005, 08:46 PM
T41
Pentium mobile 1.6GHz
1024 MB/ram
40GB hdd (WinXP...it's a corporate machine, no choice)
ultrabay slim drive 40GB hdd (Hoary Hedgehog!!!)

Everything works 100% except...

I like the way the IBM windows drivers let you scroll with the poinstick and middle/blue mouse button. Can't figure that out in *Nix yet.

Also, the ipw2200 won't support WPA/802.11i, but thats a distro package problem, not a hardware problem. I haven't gotten around to getting through the HOWTO found elsewhere on this forum.

I'd say I only use a desktop for gaming, but I am so busy these days I don't game anymore, except on a console, so...I don't use desktop PC's anymore. W00T!

chili555
August 21st, 2005, 01:35 AM
Also a T23, also from Ebay.

1.13GHz Pentium
384MB RAM
30 GB HDD
DVD/CDR drive

I had Win 2000 scrubbed within 15 minutes of UPS's arrival!

I also got a floppy drive to go in it, which I've never used. I added a Netgear WG511 v.1 (prism54) and I'm very happy.

byen
August 21st, 2005, 01:55 AM
I swear by Crucial. I've never gotten a bum stick from them. They're worth the slight premium in my book
I second that. Good site..slightly higher than what you might find at a store but they are good. If you still dont wanna spend a lil extra bucks you can atleast find out the right type of ram for you..... check it out. (www.crucial.com)

erikpiper
August 21st, 2005, 02:08 AM
I second that. Good site..slightly higher than what you might find at a store but they are good. If you still dont wanna spend a lil extra bucks you can atleast find out the right type of ram for you..... check it out. (www.crucial.com)
T23 refurbished, straight from IBM. Like new!
1.20 Ghz
30 GB Hd
512 MB Ram
DVD-ROM/Floppy

Everything works perfect, but as zencoder said, the blue scroll button doesn't scroll in Nix. Only works as a 3'rd button. :(

drizek
August 21st, 2005, 02:09 AM
crucial's site.

Cheap RAM can be a waste of money when the computer won't boot.

http://www.crucial.com
i bought some kingston ram that didnt work, and is sitting here cause im too lazy to RMA it(its just 128mb and i dont have anywhere to put the working stick anyway).

i also have a stick of some valuecheapass ram that works great.

its just luck i guess. just make sure it has a DOA warranty.