PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] persistant dvd, or thumb drive.

oneleded
April 3rd, 2019, 02:25 AM
i've been putting my linux iso. on dvd-r, dvd+r, or usb. i was trying to have a persistent dvd, which may have to be dvd+rw. the usb should already be OK. i'm doing something wrong.
thanks
PS, should i have partitioned, usb first

DuckHook
April 3rd, 2019, 05:33 AM
A persistent LiveUSB cannot be installed on a DVD.

The DVD medium is about a million times too slow, is a linear access device instead of the necessary random access and, even if R/W, can only be written to a half-dozen times before it gives up the ghost. You must use a USB stick/drive—and a fast one at that.

oneleded
April 3rd, 2019, 06:29 AM
that answers that, an then some..
perhaps my 2002, read only, drive needs eyesight, is why/when i put an iso. on a dvd drive, it is not read right or i got a problem with the disk.
i left out the part where, obsolete is.

oneleded
April 6th, 2019, 11:12 AM
A persistent LiveUSB cannot be installed on a DVD.

The DVD medium is about a million times too slow, is a linear access device instead of the necessary random access and, even if R/W, can only be written to a half-dozen times before it gives up the ghost. You must use a USB stick/drive—and a fast one at that.
in other word's; there is no such critter, as a persistent, dvd-rw, or dvd+rw...
though only 4.7 GB, i wanted a lubuntu os system, for just a short time.

C.S.Cameron
April 6th, 2019, 04:39 PM
You can make a CD/DVD persistent.
Start with a USB drive.
Format it ext4 and label it casper-rw.
Boot you CD/DVD with the USB plugged in.
Tapping Shift brings a language menu, close it.
Press F6 and Esc.
Type a space and the word "persistent".
The session will be saved on the USB.
You need to do the F6 thing every time you want to boot persistently.

oneleded
April 17th, 2019, 03:06 AM
this is a hypathetcial [spell check dont work for dyslexia] question. if ya got 2 dvd or cd, roms, for that matter. usually 1 is read only, the other is rw. if both drives were rw. couldnt ya make a dvd, near persistent. in case ya wanted to add a bit more info?,, or a dvd-rw, or dvd+rw. i ask this, just to improve the dvd. 4.7 GB, aint much. it makes for a better install, with the iso, perhaps if you can improve it, a tad..

let me put this in other term's. in order to write to such cd or dvd, then when it run's, it has to be in a rw-rom drive. it seem's quite obvious to me, yet i still ask it. i.e., ya cant take the disk out of the RO dvd, an put it in the RW dvd.

oneleded
April 25th, 2019, 05:49 AM
i had to think about this some. the DVD = iso. there is no way to improve on an iso, with dvd+r. you can put an iso on one. then it is the end of it. unlike a thumb drive.
help me mark this solved. i am using the dvd+r at the moment, till i solve a few problems. it would be nice, not to have to change setting's/ preferences, every time i have to use it.
it cant happen, can it?