PDA

View Full Version : my internet provider is in a different country

Skaperen
March 29th, 2019, 07:28 AM
my internet provider is in a different country than i am. the IP address i get shows up in the city that provider is physically located in. i get ads promoting products in that country, in their language from many websites. the number of them is growing. lately i've even gotten documentation in their language. how can i tell these website to cut it out? it's no longer funny. ads should be in my own language for my own country. docs should be in my own language. there should be a way to say on web requests what my language and country is. how can i make that work in firefox (i'm at version 66.0.2/amd64)

please, do not try to tell me that the provider needs to get address blocks in every country they do business in. if you understand how it all works then you know it is totally not practical. any suggestion for that shows me how not with it you are.

please, do not try to tell me that i should get a provider in my own country. if you do then you have no clue how bad this can be, here.

i will not say what the specific countries are because it should not matter.

TheFu
March 29th, 2019, 08:27 PM
So you aren't in WV, USA?
Or setup a network ad blocker like pi-hole or use an ad-blocking /etc/hosts. https://lifehacker.com/how-to-block-unwanted-ads-in-all-applications-and-speed-30814279

kurt18947
March 31st, 2019, 02:12 PM
Would using a VPN work for you? If so, set it to use the U.S. I see the same thing within U.S. states, when using a VPN I see ads from the city/state where the VPN says I am, not where I physically am. Use this to your advantage.