PDA

View Full Version : FTP Client

Donald F. Robertson
August 22nd, 2006, 06:23 PM
Does anyone know of an easy-to-install and easy-to-use FTP client for Ubuntu-6.06 running Gnome? There appear to be only two in the add software list, one conflicts with another program and one only works with KDE.

Thanks!

-- Donald

v8YKxgHe
August 23rd, 2006, 10:21 PM
Thats the one thing I find linux lacks .... a Good GUI FTP Client, I'm sure I'll get RSI from gFTP since it doesn't have a tree view.

What Linux needs is SmartFTP, but I've already posted on their forum asking if there was any chance of a Linux version - All they did was lock/close my thread with no message at all!

Edit: You could try kbear? I've tried it, but it always locks up when I try to upload/download files ...... quite crucial that for an FTP Client!

rockrhino27
August 23rd, 2006, 10:24 PM
I use gFTP all the time and it works fine. I do agree though. linux does need a smartftp port. I use that program on my windows machine at hme and at work, and the name speaks for itself. it is Smart...

v8YKxgHe
August 23rd, 2006, 10:27 PM
Oh gFTP works, it's just the fact it has no Tree View will give me RSI doing that much double click to get in and out of folders =)

indigoshift
August 23rd, 2006, 10:29 PM
FileZilla works for me...er, most of the time. It does have its problems, but overall, it gets the job done.

Eversmann
August 23rd, 2006, 10:36 PM
I've been having some weird closing ups with gFTP with sites with some folders and having to act recursively to them.

For now, on gnome, i'm using IglooFTP. Looking good and working nice until now.