PDA

View Full Version : If your X broke, how dod you fix it?

greggh
August 22nd, 2006, 06:20 PM
I popped in a live Slax Popcorn CD. Surfed here and found the fix. Pretty quick and easy.

FISHERMAN
August 22nd, 2006, 06:24 PM
used an Ubuntu-live CD.

mostwanted
August 22nd, 2006, 06:26 PM
I immediately entered Aptitude and downgraded myself. If I hadn't remembered what the package was called, I wouldn't have been able to fix it myself.

christhemonkey
August 22nd, 2006, 06:30 PM
Command line, every time.

(unless its more serious, then ssh in and change it)

jdong
August 22nd, 2006, 11:30 PM
A friend of mine got a new 21" flat panel, and asked me to help set it up for him (as it takes some weird resolutions)

Prior to calling me over, he did a dist-upgrade (naturally he didn't tell me about it). So, I'm here trying to get his xorg.conf tweaked, and no matter what I try it always bombs out with "no screens found".

After around 30 minutes of screwing around and finally attempted a LiveCD (which worked flawlessly), I deduced it was some problem with updated packages. From there, a forum search revealed the problem.

--------

This was a pretty severe failure IMO, as it leaves users with a relatively unusable system. I consider myself a Linux "expert user", and it set me back 30 minutes. Fortunately I had nothing important to be doing at the time, but if I did, I would've been pretty ticked.

akniss
August 23rd, 2006, 12:08 AM
I didn't boot after the update until this morning, and the fix had already been posted. So after muttering some choice words under my breath I gave
sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude upgrade
a try. When I saw that xserver-xorg-core was available to be upgraded, I assumed that must be the problem. Only about 10 minutes out of my life was wasted. Much better than many, I guess. My fglrx driver was even still working after the fix! Hooray!

siimo
August 23rd, 2006, 12:21 AM
switched to a different distro :-S

jdong
August 23rd, 2006, 12:26 AM
switched to a different distro :-S

Are you serious? Just curious, because an incident similar to this (but with mysql on the server side) was what made me abandon Gentoo.

slimdog360
August 23rd, 2006, 12:38 AM
It seems as though a lot of poeple upgraded at the worst possible time, like just as they installed compiz or a new monitor, etc.

I upgradeed both my laptop and desktop computer with the bug, the laptop I was online before I restarted it so I was able to use the fix straight away. And the desktop, well I really dont feel like stuffing around fixing it so for the moment I booted into windows.

RedKrieg
August 23rd, 2006, 12:55 AM
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade did the trick for me.

leev
August 23rd, 2006, 12:57 AM
I just booted into Windows, and found the fix on the forums. Windows had to be updated anyway so it wasn't much of a problem.

vbt
August 23rd, 2006, 01:12 AM
sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude upgrade

This one fixed it. I still love Ubuntu. :p

jimrz
August 23rd, 2006, 01:24 AM
update broke X on my desktop last night...tried to reconfigure, still hosed...fired up laptop, ignored the update, came here and found instructions (good previous ver #, etc) for downgrading to a known good ver...I love these forums...fixed X from command line then had to go make some corrections to stuff in xorg.conf that got hosed reconfiguring X.

sure hope today's upgrade works out better than yesterday's!!!
<fingers-crossed> gonna try it again.

EDIT: much better today, both boxes updated...no probs

Donnut
August 23rd, 2006, 01:28 AM
Could be if I wanted to get the fix from ******* I may have found it, but I stumbled along blindly trying to fix it with command line for a while then booted from a live CD and found the fix.