PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_mate] howto compile cam drivers

dieter-erich
March 19th, 2019, 12:38 AM
Hi,
my Lenovo IdeaPad Miix 320-10ICR runs ubuntu-mate 18.04 nicely except that the two cams are not being recognized. Even updating to kernel 5.02 did not help. However, I recently found 2 files on Linus' page with the corresponding ov2680.c and ov5670.c files that are supposedly the listings of the corresponding driver modules.
Can anybody please indicate how I can compile these files and install the resulting modules!

Thanks, D-E

oldrocker99
March 23rd, 2019, 08:31 PM
It's easier to compile and install source code than you might thihk. To compile source code, first do this:
apt install build-essential
That will install everything to compile source code, but read below.

Download the files, and decompress them with an archive manager. Cd to that folder and look for a file called "configure." It is very likely to be there. Then run it:
./configure
Either all the -dev files are installed, or you will be told which files are missing. Use Synaptic to find the files, and they must end in -dev, which are the libraries that compilation uses.

Once you have all the libraries installed, the configure script will create, and tell you it is doing so, a file called "make." So,
make
This command compiles the code. Some errors may be displayed, but don't worry about them. After compilation,
sudo make install

This is, as I said, not all that hard. Post any problems you may have.

dieter-erich
July 13th, 2019, 05:50 AM
Hi oldrocker99,
please forgive me for coming back to you only now! Thanks a lot, but can you please give me some more hints how to proceed from here:
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/media/i2c/ov2680.c. I tried to git clone this repository, but it is huge and I certainly do not need to do it. So, should I just download the file shown and then follow your instructions? But there is no Makefile included...
bw D-E