PDA

View Full Version : Your thought On Xubuntu

RobGoss
March 12th, 2019, 01:47 PM
I've used Xubuntu on and off but never considered using it as my primary desktop. After seeing how fast it is I decided to use it on a few of my desktops

I know Xubuntu does not come fully loaded but that's OK because I'm assuming that's what makes it so responsive

What are your thoughts on Xubuntu and do you guys feel it's worth a try! And what is your experience using it

makitso
March 12th, 2019, 02:11 PM
I used xubuntu for about 3 years -- up to the 18.04 release. IMO, it is very easy to customize and has lots of gui configuration configuration options. However, the desktop is aged and it takes forever to get bugs fixed. As such, I no longer use it.

kc1di
March 12th, 2019, 02:13 PM
It's a fine Desktop and used if for years. or Mint's variation of it. Keeps some of my older machines going. :)

ajgreeny
March 12th, 2019, 02:38 PM
It has been my favourite *ubuntu version since 12.04 and the birth of unity, which improved with time but never quite fitted my working methods; I now find the gnome version even worse, but I accept that is just me.

Xubuntu with Xfce4 is, in my opinion, the most easily configurable OS in the Ubuntu family, is fast and works exactly as I want.
I am not sure what bugs makitso is referring to, but I haven't found any that are show-stoppers for me, and at this moment I can't think of anything that I've seen at all in 18.04; as an LTS user that will be my OS till 20.04 is released.

Old fashioned? Maybe, but what if it is; perhaps I am also old fashioned too!

RobGoss
March 12th, 2019, 03:12 PM
Ajgreeny , Yeah I have to agree with you it is easy to configure not to say customize as well

I only use LTS release seem the smart way to go unless you like install a new system every few months

I haven't see any bug either everything seems to work great. I installed on one of my desktops with a 240 and it runs like a champ

Thanks for your input

RobGoss
March 12th, 2019, 03:17 PM
kc1di ,Yes makes our old machines come a live again. I have machines that are over 10 years old and run great

RobGoss
March 12th, 2019, 03:17 PM
makitso ,Not sure what bugs you're referring to,

makitso
March 12th, 2019, 04:17 PM
Not sure what bugs you're referring to,

I have a NAS device where I keep confidential information and I mound it with Samba. In Thunar on 18.04, if I open the folder on the NAS device and click on the file it will not launch the mime application, gets and error. This problem was solved with Thunar 1.8.1 that became available in 18.10.

maglin2
March 12th, 2019, 04:31 PM
I tried xubuntu 18.04 and found it light fast and configurable..
I then tried kubuntu 18.04 and to my surprise found it was also light fast and configurable - and to my mind more full featured.
Still on kubuntu at present - though it does have an annoying tendency to run force update apt xapian index quite frequently, which hogs cpu for a minute or so.

RobGoss
March 12th, 2019, 05:07 PM
I have a NAS device where I keep confidential information and I mound it with Samba. In Thunar on 18.04, if I open the folder on the NAS device and click on the file it will not launch the mime application, gets and error. This problem was solved with Thunar 1.8.1 that became available in 18.10.

Thanks for pointing that out I dont really know much about Nas

yetimon_64
March 13th, 2019, 01:24 AM
I've used Xubuntu on and off but never considered using it as my primary desktop. After seeing how fast it is I decided to use it on a few of my desktops

I know Xubuntu does not come fully loaded but that's OK because I'm assuming that's what makes it so responsive

What are your thoughts on Xubuntu and do you guys feel it's worth a try! And what is your experience using it
ajgreeny's quote exert below sums up my opinion of Xubuntu/xfce4 perfectly.

... Xubuntu with Xfce4 is, in my opinion, the most easily configurable OS in the Ubuntu family, is fast and works exactly as I want...
I first tried it out with 12.04 but really got hooked on it with Trusty 14.04. Yes, it is an "old fashioned" style of desktop, but that suits my usage style perfectly, considering I'm currently posting off of my other choice of DE, Ubuntu-mate with the old gnome2 type of interface :-).

I will often add other OS applications like gedit or mate-terminal to Xubuntu/xfce4 where the native application doesn't suit my tastes, doing so may end up with a few extra system libraries etc but with a big HDD I don't worry about such. I have never noticed any slow down of the xfce system using other DE applications, it seems to be a very flexible system to me.

Cheers, yeti.

Tadaen_Sylvermane
March 13th, 2019, 04:46 AM
I've been using it for a few months off and on lately. I love it. Can look fairly modern with a few tweaks and a decent conky. Is simple and lets me have full access to the muscle my laptop has. I tried to use vanilla Ubuntu 18.04 but found it glitching a bit to much. Closing the laptop lid would occasionally result in just a black screen with a mouse cursor on it. Couldn't get it to unlock or do anything. Had to hard reboot every time. Xfce hasn't given me any issues yet.

again?
March 13th, 2019, 07:21 AM
Xubuntu is my desktop of choice since Ubuntu started using gnome-shell.... love it.
gnome-shell along with gdm3 is noticeably slower and resource hungry.
In my opinion, gnome-shell is being designed for touch devices with the traditional mouse/keyboard desktop a secondary concern.

The Cog
March 13th, 2019, 09:03 AM
I've been using Xubuntu since shortly before Unity was introduced (which I tried but didn't like). It's lightweight enough that it runs OK on a couple of old netbooks. It's good and fast on my desktop, and doesn't "get in my way".
To me it's configurable enough without being slowed down with too many options to check all the time. And they don't keep changing it for the sake of change: it's consistent, which is part of not getting in the way.
And I don't feel that it's "not fully loaded" at all.

RobGoss
March 13th, 2019, 02:16 PM
I have to agree it's simply a clean desktop and runs great. Gnome is not one of my favorite desktop environments and in my opinion runs much slower on older machines

Xubuntu is less cluttered with unwanted applications and that's what I'm looking for.

I was using Ubuntu 16.04 until they changed to Gnome now I moved away from it all together not a fan of it, not saying its not a good choice just not mines

ajgreeny
March 14th, 2019, 02:47 PM
Just as an example, one of many I'm sure, of what can be done with Xubuntu, here's a screenshot of my desktop.

I have two instances of conky, one with just date and time, the other with data about the OS and network etc, and on the left a panel full of launchers, auto-hidden so normally not seen.

Gives me a clean, normally empty desktop, and also incidentally, somewhere to drop temporary files such as the screenshot I took and attached below, but which I can now get rid off.

RobGoss
March 17th, 2019, 01:18 AM
Just as an example, one of many I'm sure, of what can be done with Xubuntu, here's a screenshot of my desktop.

I have two instances of conky, one with just date and time, the other with data about the OS and network etc, and on the left a panel full of launchers, auto-hidden so normally not seen.

Gives me a clean, normally empty desktop, and also incidentally, somewhere to drop temporary files such as the screenshot I took and attached below, but which I can now get rid off.

Nice looking desktop everyting were it should be

makitso
March 17th, 2019, 03:55 PM
it takes forever to get bugs fixed.

RobGoss, it's my opinion that the xubuntu team is not very proactive when it comes to anything but a critical bug fix -- and that was one of the problem I had. Don't take me wrong, their great folks and work very hard. But, the xubuntu team would need to work with the XFCE team in Debian to get a fix released and then backport it. If its not critical this just does not happen. So xubuntu users are kind of left to the XFCE / Debian release cycle which is very very slow.

him610
March 18th, 2019, 01:39 AM
I have been using Xubuntu for several years now. I have it installed on four 10+ year old computers including one atom-powered netbook, as well as, a couple of recent computers. Xubuntu is easier to configure; one does not need to download a Tweaks application to modify things. The currrent LTS 18.04 will be supported until April 2021 - 3 years.
The other contributers have good, valid points. Maybe I am just stuck in my ways, but if you find something you like why change without good reason. I have tried other *buntus and DEs, but I prefer Xubuntu with XFCE. I have discovered no issues with it whatsoever, but then again, maybe I was dozing.

The Xubuntu team is always looking for volunteers to help with documentation and testing. If anyone truly wants a better Xubuntu product then volunteer.

rattskjelke
March 18th, 2019, 02:37 AM
Three years ago I dumped Windows 7 and have mainly been using Xubuntu ever since. I like being able to have a custom right-click menu. I have had few problems, probably the worst just happened to me yesterday. I posted it is here. (https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2414935)