PDA

View Full Version : New install of 18.04 Login loop; startx does work, but can't get gdm working

brianmrowe2
March 10th, 2019, 08:51 PM
I have so many post on the login loop, and I have tried most of it. I finally decided to re-install. This machine was running 18.04 fine, but after some update and reboot, I started getting the login loop issues. I did the new install, formatting the install drive and mounting my old /home drive while making a new user.
My new user can't login, but if I drop to command prompt (ctrl-alt-F3) and do a startx everything runs fine. I tried to install lightdm, but then I get failed to start session. I installed lightdm because GDM was crash/freezing as soon as I pressed login, saying authentication error maybe ( I stopped rebooting and clicking it.) Its driving me crazy. I can use the machine because startx works, but its really now ideal obviously. Any help would be great.

brianmrowe2
March 10th, 2019, 09:05 PM
I removed lightdm, reconfigured gdm3 and rebooted, and I have the new user I created from new install looks like it worked. The old user, still not work.