PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] howto install Kubuntu on LVM partition ?

anderbuntu
March 10th, 2019, 12:47 AM
Hi

How can I install new Kubuntu 18.04 to LVM partition ?

There is only option to - use entire disk and setup LVM...
I have dual boot with WIn10, so I dont want this option.

In manualy option >> there is no option to create LVM partition > when I created manualy with fdisk and then I go back to install screen > this LVM partition is not recognized...

Any idea ?

Dennis N
March 10th, 2019, 03:23 AM
The installer can't create a partition for LVM use. But gparted can*. Running it from the live media, format the partition as "lvm2 pv" (lvm2 physical volume). Then there is a bit more to do:

After the partition is made, you need to use the terminal from the live media session to create a volume group from the partition, and then create a logical volume in that volume group to use for root of the OS installation (and optionally one for a separate home). Are you familiar with LVM-related commands? The installer will display the logical volume you create in the partitioning screen, where you can designate it for root of the OS being installed.

*you can also use a simple terminal command to prepare a partition for LVM use: sudo pvcreate /dev/sda3 for example.

anderbuntu
March 10th, 2019, 01:50 PM
Hi

Yes, I created lvm2 partition via KDE Partition Manager then I created PV, VG, LV and ext4 FS on it, also tried to mount and touch a file, all OK,
Also I checked via Gparted app > and shows LVM partition....hwever when I try to install Kubuntu > partiotn sda8 is still no recognized...

Any idea ?

Attaching screenshots..

vgdisplay >
vgdisplay -v
--- Volume group ---
VG Name vg00
System ID
Format lvm2
Metadata Areas 1
Metadata Sequence No 2
VG Access read/write
VG Status resizable
MAX LV 0
Cur LV 1
Open LV 0
Max PV 0
Cur PV 1
Act PV 1
VG Size <30.04 GiB
PE Size 4.00 MiB
Total PE 7690
Alloc PE / Size 7680 / 30.00 GiB
Free PE / Size 10 / 40.00 MiB
VG UUID glqebe-Fm5T-g9n6-fHXY-Ez1r-csp2-Iisrao

--- Logical volume ---
LV Path /dev/vg00/lv00
LV Name lv00
VG Name vg00
LV UUID t5It8v-0UNQ-5e5d-9Ys1-00J0-I2uZ-umAcRo
LV Write Access read/write
LV Creation host, time kubuntu, 2019-03-10 11:56:39 +0000
LV Status available
# open 0
LV Size 30.00 GiB
Current LE 7680
Segments 1
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors auto
- currently set to 256
Block device 253:0

--- Physical volumes ---
PV Name /dev/sda8
PV UUID KGcg1A-xY20-Szh5-VoxP-6nva-mC04-OF89cJ
PV Status allocatable
Total PE / Free PE 7690 / 10

Dennis N
March 10th, 2019, 02:05 PM
I checked via Gparted app > and shows LVM partition....hwever when I try to install Kubuntu > partiotn sda8 is still no recognized...

The "Prepare Partitions" screen shown in your 2nd screenshot should show the logical volumes above all the partitions. Use those to make your selection for install location. See the attached screenshot.

anderbuntu
March 10th, 2019, 02:45 PM
The "Prepare Partitions" screen shown in your 2nd screenshot should show the logical volumes above all the partitions.

Yes, ..should show... but not showing.... I don't know why

There is only showing sda8 as unknown partition

anderbuntu
March 10th, 2019, 02:53 PM
Aaah, I checked again, and you have right, is there on the top. :)
Thanks for help

A.