PDA

View Full Version : I got a printer to work!

fatn00b
March 9th, 2019, 06:56 PM
I'm a new linux user (started using a dual boot Ubuntu/Windows 10 this past Tuesday), and last night I tried connecting to my university's network printer. On the website they had instructions for Windows 10 and for Mac OS, but nothing for linux. I managed to extract the necessary information from those pages to get the printer to work from my machine (though it did take 3 hours of going down a Samba rabbit-hole), and it was so satisfying.

It took so much more work than I was expecting, but I also feel like I learned so much about printers and Samba in the process. Is this a good representation of what learning linux is generally like?

oldfred
March 9th, 2019, 08:24 PM
If you post what you did, it may help many others.

Generally you can find help, either in forums or other web sites.
Newest versions of Ubuntu now use same printing as Mac, not sure about network printing.

yetimon_64
March 9th, 2019, 11:14 PM
... and it was so satisfying.

It took so much more work than I was expecting, but I also feel like I learned so much about printers and Samba in the process. Is this a good representation of what learning linux is generally like?

That reminds me of when I first started back in 2007, so many technical issues that I had never encountered with Windows. Between Google, Ubuntuforums and various other Linux help sites it was always so satisfying to get a problem fixed.

I'd have to say "yes" to what you experienced being a good representation of the Linux learning process. It does take time and effort but after a while will get MUCH easier, and is always so satisfying when a problem is sorted.

If you post what you did, it may help many others.
+1. A good idea, even if you have only just started out in Linux. As well as helping others with the same problem, having more experienced users reviewing your fix may also help you learn more as well. Others may point out easier/quicker ways or more robust means of doing what you need to. Peer review in Linux is always good to have available. Ubuntu is all about "community".

...though it did take 3 hours of going down a Samba rabbit-hole The old "samba rabbit-hole" was one of my first few major challenges on Ubuntu, once you get the hang of it you will find it so useful with local networking. This sure is bringing back some memories here ... :).

Cheers, yeti.