PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Upgrading from 14.04LTS to 16.04LTS

KieranFitzgerald
March 6th, 2019, 01:58 PM
Trying to update but I am having problems getting started. I selected upgrade from the software updater. I get an out of disk space error, screen shot uploaded. No further details provided. I have an SSD with boot & system partitions. home is on my HDD all appear to have space.
Last time I tried others suggested removing old Linux kernels which I have done but no change.

If I try to upgrade from the command line I get an internet connection error see second screen shot. Press OK still offers an upgrade but also give out of space error.

What do I do now?

Dennis N
March 6th, 2019, 02:24 PM
I've encountered that warning. The update manager needs sufficient space to store all the downloaded files which can be a lot. If you make some room by temporarily moving enough data files to temporary storage or enlarge the root partition by a few GB, it should go through.

KieranFitzgerald
March 6th, 2019, 06:06 PM
My root partition is on the ssd I am trying to increase the size but I have a Windows reserved partition in the way. This has an error according to Gparted so I can't move it. Windows works fine so no idea why it's reporting an error or how to fix it. Can I relocate root to the hard disk?

Edit Gparted reports "unknown" file system for the reserved partition.

KieranFitzgerald
March 6th, 2019, 11:05 PM
I managed to get 6GB more for root but still not big enough.

monkeybrain20122
March 6th, 2019, 11:11 PM
Just backup your data and do a clean install, much faster and safer.

Impavidus
March 7th, 2019, 09:59 AM
You can relocate the root partition to the HDD, but you'll lose the advantages of having it on the SSD. Moving it will be more work than a fresh install, especially as you already have a /home partition. So try a fresh install.

KieranFitzgerald
March 7th, 2019, 01:22 PM
I tried a clean install last night using the "something else" option. got message No root file system is defined! How should I prepare my SSD (sda) and HDD (sdb) for the install? sdc is for backup.

This my current partition scheme

kieran@Desktop:~$ sudo lsblk -o NAME,FSTYPE,SIZE,MOUNTPOINT,LABELNAME FSTYPE SIZE MOUNTPOINT LABEL
sda 111.8G
├─sda1 vfat 487M /boot/efi
├─sda2 ext4 25.7G /
├─sda3 ext4 15.3G /usr
├─sda4 128M
└─sda5 ntfs 58.5G
sdb 931.5G
├─sdb1 ext4 3.7G /var
├─sdb2 swap 4.7G [SWAP]
├─sdb3 ext4 727.4G /home
└─sdb4 ntfs 175.8G
sdc 232.9G
└─sdc1 ext4 232.9G Data
sr0 1024M

sda2 is /root (should I label it?)
Windows on the ntfs partitions

Want to keep Windows and home.

yancek
March 7th, 2019, 02:08 PM
got message No root file system is defined

In the installer window, when you select the partition for the " / " (root filesystem) you need to click the Change button below the main window and select the Mount point option " / " which is the first option from the drop down menu. So in your case, if you want sda2 as the / partition, click sda2 in the main window, click Change and then select / for Mount point.

Impavidus
March 7th, 2019, 08:11 PM
Select sda2, click "change", set the mountpoint to / and mark it for formatting. Select sdb3, click "change", set the mountpoint to /home and make sure it's not marked for formatting. I think the installer should recognise the efi and swap partitions automatically. Unless you have some special needs, there's no need for /var and /usr partitions.

KieranFitzgerald
March 8th, 2019, 06:10 PM
16.04LTS installed and mostly working. I can't boot Windows . Ran boot repair from live session. No change.

Report at http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/zYPk8xDctp/

KieranFitzgerald
March 9th, 2019, 12:40 PM
Starting new thread