PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] potential problems doing a clean install of 18.04 on windows laptop

s9032g@comcast.net
March 1st, 2019, 03:43 AM
Can someone point me to a source of help in doing a clean install of Ubuntu 18.04 to replace windows 7? Maybe someone who has actually done this. For example wifi problems, sound problems, etc. Would I do better to completely erase window 7, after doing backups?

Thanks

pcfan1234
March 1st, 2019, 11:58 AM
It depends on the hardware the laptop has. I would recommend to update the BIOS/UEFI before installing Ubuntu. Please tell us what Laptop do you have.
If you have enough disk space you can leave Windows installed and let the Ubuntu installer create a separate partition for Ubuntu. You can still use Windows after that.

kc1di
March 1st, 2019, 12:38 PM
This page (https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-install-ubuntu-desktop#4) may be of help to you.

Other than that, it mostly will depend on your hardware as to what will work out of the box. If you have Nvidia graphic card you'll need to take special steps to get it working , if you have Broadcom wireless you will need to install correct driver for it to work. it all depends on what hardware your using.

s9032g@comcast.net
March 1st, 2019, 03:21 PM
Dell Studio 1747, windows 7 Pro, 64 bit, Intel Core I7, 6 GB ram, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 560v, A14 bios
I don't want to do a dual install. I want to dump Windows completely. I have been using Ubuntu on other computers for years. I have Broadcom but I don't use it. If I need wireless I use a plug in Edimax which is much faster.

kc1di
March 1st, 2019, 07:56 PM
That machine should work for you - only thing I see that may be problematic is the radeon Graphics card. They are sometimes tricky to get going.

s9032g@comcast.net
March 5th, 2019, 02:52 PM
I used Dban to clean thing out (1 pass). Did a clean install of Mint Cinnamon 19.1. No real problems. Now doing details.