PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] boot-repair failed after incomplete shim-signed package upgrade

rollinrob
February 22nd, 2019, 07:49 PM
Hi!
Yesterday I upgraded the "shim-signed" package on my Ubuntu 16.04.5 server, which failed and left me with a broken system that won't boot again. So I booted an Ubuntu 16.04.5 live stick, installed boot-repair (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair) and started a "recommended repair", which unfortunately also left me with an error and the following message:

An error occurred during the repair.

You can now reboot your computer.
Please do not forget to make your BIOS boot on sda1/EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi file!

I don't really know how to proceed now as I don't know how GRUB and the whole boot mechanism works. Could anyone please help me? I saved all the information boot-repair gave to me (Boot-Info and log) and can provide parts or all of it if that would help. I will attach the first section of the Boot-Info as this looks like it would tell people who know what they are doing a lot about the system ;)
The server has two HDDs and (temporarily) an USB stick attached.

Thanks in advance!

Rob

Boot-Info:

Boot Info Script 8f991e4 + Boot-Repair extra info [Boot-Info 25oct2017]

============================= Boot Info Summary: ===============================

=> No boot loader is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda.
=> Grub2 (v1.97-1.98) is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdb and looks at sector
1 of the same hard drive for core.img, but core.img can not be found at
this location.
=> No known boot loader is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdc.

sda1: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: vfat
Boot sector type: FAT32
Boot sector info: No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
Operating System:
Boot files: /EFI/ubuntu/grub.cfg /Boot/bootx64.efi
/ubuntu/shimx64.efi /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi
/EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi /EFI/ubuntu/mmx64.efi
/EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi

sda2: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: ext2
Boot sector type: -
Boot sector info:
Operating System:
Boot files: /grub/grub.cfg

sda3: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: LVM2_member
Boot sector info:

sdb1: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: ext3
Boot sector info:
Operating System:
Boot files: /grub/grub.cfg

sdc1: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: iso9660
Boot sector type: Unknown
Boot sector info:
Mounting failed: mount: /dev/sdc1 is already mounted or /mnt/BootInfo/sdc1 busy

sdc2: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: vfat
Boot sector type: FAT16
Boot sector info: According to the info in the boot sector, sdc2 starts
at sector 0. But according to the info from fdisk,
sdc2 starts at sector 9828. According to the info in
the boot sector, sdc2 has 0 sectors.
Mounting failed: mount: /dev/sdc1 is already mounted or /mnt/BootInfo/sdc1 busy
mount: /dev/sdc2 is already mounted or /mnt/BootInfo/sdc2 busy

robserver-vg-root: __________________________________________________ ___________

File system: ext4
Boot sector info:
Operating System: Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS
Boot files: /etc/fstab

robserver-vg-swap_1: __________________________________________________ _________

File system: swap
Boot sector info:

oldfred
February 22nd, 2019, 07:57 PM
Please use code tags if posting terminal output.
You can easily add code tags with forum's advanced Editor and # icon.

Better still, Post link to full Summary Report from Boot-Repair.

Is your system also encrypted? If so you need to decrypted it before running Boot-Repair.
You have LVM - logical volume type install.

Are you booting in UEFI boot mode from UEFI, you show a very old grub BIOS boot in sdb which will not work.
If shim is installed, it should boot with UEFI Secure boot on or off, but if you updated UEFI, then you may have reverted to defaults in UEFI. Check your settings, you may want to turn off UEFI Secure Boot.

rollinrob
February 23rd, 2019, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the quick answer and editor hints!

My system is not encrypted, but Secure boot is enabled in UEFI and you are also right about the LVM install. I did not change anything in my UEFI, only upgraded the shim-signed package in Ubuntu.

Should I try switching off secure boot and run boot-repair again or can this make the problem worse?

oldfred
February 23rd, 2019, 03:25 PM
I would try with UEFI Secure Boot off.

ubfan1
February 23rd, 2019, 05:35 PM
Your EFI partition looks damaged -- Everything should be under /EFI. I see /Boot and /ubuntu there. In /EFI/Boot, you should have a copy of grubx64.efi, along with the bootx64.efi

rollinrob
February 23rd, 2019, 05:37 PM
I disabled Secure Boot in UEFI and started boot-repair recommended repair again, but it did the same steps as before and exited with an error again. The Boot-Info is available at http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/vWhXWBgF5j/ How do I proceed now? Boot-repair tells me to "Please do not forget to make your BIOS boot on sda1/EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi file!", how do I do this?

oldfred
February 23rd, 2019, 07:13 PM
It says no error on grub install, it looks like error is related to sdc, which is your live installer. If you use dd or one of the the installers that uses dd, then your flash drive is not a normal partitioned drive, but a hybrid DVD/flash drive configuration. Then standard partition tools will not see it correctly.

If you press escape right after UEFI screen, do you get grub menu? If fast boot is on in UEFI, you may not have time to press escape. Fast boot assumes no changes to configuration and does not take time to scan system and write what hardware you have to drive for operating system, it just starts boot immediately.

rollinrob
February 24th, 2019, 11:59 AM
You were right, the normal GRUB (version 2.02~beta2-36ubuntu3.20) showed up if I just started the machine without pressing any key. I selected the normal "Ubuntu" option. There was no screen output for about two hours, I guess a file system check was performed. Afterwards Ubuntu went into maintenance mode, because there were some file system errors which I fixed by running fsck manually. Then I rebooted and now Ubuntu is running again.

Thank you for your support!

As I now have Secure Boot disabled, is it save to keep it that way?