PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] fresh install on new machine goes haywire on every attempt

sudayshna
February 19th, 2019, 10:15 AM
I bought a new laptop that came with pre-installed Windows. I have installed Ubuntu 16.04 on it (replacing Windows completely), but the installation ends up incorrect. Either the sound driver does not work, or else, I am unable to access the Desktop and Display settings from System settings.

The first time I installed, the system froze after the installation was over. It prompted me to press a key to restart, and after pressing the key, the system didn't restart. A cursor appeared on the screen and everytime I pressed enter, the cursor would just go to the next line. No restart.

I forced shutdown the system using the power button.

I tried installing 2 more times, but the same thing kept happening.

I am now using the system without access to desktop and display settings.

Tried the workarounds for similar problems from the web, but nothing seems to work.

How can I get my system to function fully?

slickymaster
February 19th, 2019, 10:20 AM
Thread moved to Installation & Upgrades for a better fit

Autodave
February 19th, 2019, 03:13 PM
First off, can you tell us what kind of machine you are using.

You may have gotten a bad download: that is one possibility. I would also suggest that you download a version of 18.04 since it is more likely to have the drivers you may need for that newer machine.

sudayshna
February 19th, 2019, 04:31 PM
Reinstalled Ubuntu 16.04 with a fresh download of the .iso and everything works fine now. :)