PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Disable automatic discover of printers

fmurillo
February 15th, 2019, 07:51 PM
Hello,
I have a problem. I need to disable the automatic discover function of network printers.
I have a network with PCs (Ubuntu 18 and Ubuntu 16) and Printers (different brands). All of them are connected to the network.
Some PCs need only one printer. But, some of the printers are added automatically (according to some forums, CUPS service has this function)
So I tried to remove the printers, but after a few seconds, printers are added again.
I revised some forums related, but solutions proposed do not work for me. (I tried to change cups-browse.conf file, BrowseRemoteProtocols parameter and restart the service. It did not work)
Please help me.

ubfan1
February 15th, 2019, 11:30 PM
Did some of the solutions suggest removing the libnss-mdns package? That should remove the mdsn part of the hosts line in the ./etc/nsswitch.conf file. Don't know if getting rid of multi-cast dns would help, but it might.

kurt18947
February 16th, 2019, 02:31 AM
Here's what I saved so I guess it worked:tongue:.

Edit /etc/cups/cups-browsed-conf so it shows

BrowseRemoteProtocols none

and save. Restart CUPS with the following command:

service cups restart

fmurillo
February 18th, 2019, 05:13 PM
Thanks for help.
I tried to apply kurt18947's solution, but it did not work.
I solved the problem with another way. I entered into the printer's configuration (ubfan1's answer gave me a clue). I disabled MDNS or Multicast and DDNS option. After that Ubuntu did not add the printer again.:D