PDA

View Full Version : Hey everyone long time no see, how is everyone?

Lukasz Tarkowski
February 8th, 2019, 11:31 PM
Hey everyone long time no see, how is everyone? I have working computers now. So I have installed Ubuntu 64 bit VirtualBox on a Hp Omen Gaming Desktop 8th Intel gen, its so fast, I enabled grub and changed the screenshot on Grub As well, I also installed Ubuntu 64 bit Virtual box also on an older laptop works great to :) :KS

Dragonbite
February 9th, 2019, 02:43 PM
Sounds great! I may be getting some more into VirtualBox for setting up a development environment, as well as helping a friend restore his old Windows XP from backups.

I just recently installed Ubuntu 18.10 on my primary laptop, which used to be Pop! OS until I was getting bootup errors and honestly was too lazy to fix.

I found CloudReady, which is a Chromium OS distro, and put that on my Compaq for portable use. It's great how little is needed for keeping it up-to-date since most of it are cloud apps. And then there are the features of including VirtualBox in the installation (mine doesn't work though) and can run Flatpaks to fill out the applications available.

And then my little, underpowered Netbook I put Raspberry Pi Desktop on it. While the laptop has only one core (compared to the Raspberry Pi 3B+ I got) it has 2 GB of RAM (compared to the Raspberry Pi's 1GB).

I do have a hard drive with Windows 10, but between the news of the ever-botching of the October update, other issues I have found, and that when I need to do anything productive (video editing, image editing, etc) I find myself ending up using Linux and open source solutions. So Windows is for play, and Linux is for getting stuff done!

So while the forums are quiet, the use maintains.

Lukasz Tarkowski
February 9th, 2019, 10:26 PM
I have some trouble with my small, laptop, its a really old laptop the small one, I hope I fixed my small laptop.

Dragonbite
February 9th, 2019, 11:02 PM
Yeah, things can get tricky with some of the older hardware.

I wanted to put ChromiumOS on my Netbook because it is so old and underpowered and I just wanted to use it for portability (note taking in classes and meetings) but there was something about the graphics that made it not work at all.

Lukasz Tarkowski
February 17th, 2019, 10:05 PM
I just did a full back up of Windows so I don't have to reinstall VirtualBox. Virtual Box is a Virtual Machine if Im correct