PDA

View Full Version : toshiba satellite 50 and web cam

hsaptus
February 1st, 2019, 08:13 PM
Hello,
after upgrading for 18.04 my laptop cam isn't working. And no device as such is present. Any ideas how to solve it?
hank you in advance.

Topsiho
February 2nd, 2019, 08:51 PM
A device that is not present can not be made to work. So first of all you should add an external webcam to your laptop.
Does your laptop have a 64 bit processor? I used to have a Toshiba Satellite A50 (bought in 2005), and I think it was 32-bits. Does it work with 18.04?
Next you should have a program that works with the webcam. Try install cheese (name of program is cheese).

Topsiho

hsaptus
February 9th, 2019, 03:52 PM
Sorry for the late reply. It was one of those weeks. It's a 64 processor and well it worked with previous versions of Ubuntu and with Windows.

hsa@SATELLITE-S50-B:~$ lsmod | ack '^video\b'
video 45056 2 toshiba_acpi,i915

and yet when ever I try to use cheese for instance I get the no device as such present.

Topsiho
February 9th, 2019, 09:06 PM
I found with duckduckgo that Toshiba Satellite is the name of quite a number of laptops, that are still sold, so my assumption that you have the same laptop that I possessed is not correct. I had a now very old laptop, from 2005, wit a non-pae 32 bit processor, and no webcam, with RAM that I extended to 1,5 GB. It had become way to slow for even the lighter versions of Ubuntu, LU- and Xubuntu, and other.

Topsiho

hsaptus
February 9th, 2019, 10:51 PM
yes, it's a solid brand and this one it's an i7. I usually test everything before upgrading, but some how I spiked the cam. My bad. I have checked everything online about it and I do see it in my computer, so i am gessing it's a glitch with this kernel.