PDA

View Full Version : Can't install 18.04, hangs on ethernet?

aplatypus2
January 31st, 2019, 06:16 PM
Hi all,

I've been trying to install Ubuntu for the past couple days, but so far no joy. After a lot of research, and a lot of various attempts and tweaking, I'm at a bit of a loss.

It looks like for some reason the installer hangs here:

[5.870986] e1000e 0000:00:1f.6 (uninitialized) : registered PHC clock

There is a bug on launchpad somewhat matching: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1785171
But this seems to be affecting users actually using 18.04, I can't even get through the installer.

So far here's what I've tried:

BIOS/UEFI:
- Currently booting on UEFI/Legacy
- Secure boot is disabled
- Fast boot is disabled

Boot options:
- Removed quiet flag
- nomodeset*
- acpi=off*

*To avoid a couple errors that came up early on/black screen with a cursor.

This is a freshly built machine with no other glaring issues and will be only booting Linux, so it's never had and will never have Windows.

Does anyone have any ideas that could help get this going? It's very clear this is getting caught up with the Intel Ethernet driver (mobo has a I219-V Ethernet connection), but can't install to actually see if there's any debugging to be done. I've also tried installing using the alternative installer, but that just gets stuck on 'detecting network hardware', which is clearly the same problem, just a little less verbose.

Thanks!

kc1di
February 1st, 2019, 01:07 PM
first does the live session boot ok can you get to the Desktop with the live disk? If you can please give us the output of this terminal command:
lshw
and if you can get a internet connection install inxi
sudo apt install inxi and give us the output of
inxi -Fxz Thanks.

davidmmichaelson
July 30th, 2019, 01:23 AM
Hey, I am having exactly the same thing happen for me and I cannot get into a live session boot. It's failing in the immediate steps past choosing kernel in GRUB.

EDIT: I've tried all of the solutions that OP has tried too and been unsuccessfully trying to troubleshoot this for like 6 hours. I've even flashed my BIOS.

rsteinmetz70112
July 31st, 2019, 09:28 PM
Can you boot from an USB drive into a live(demo) session?