PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Instilation problems on a Windows 10 desktop

jimgood70+
January 29th, 2019, 11:19 PM
I am attempting to install either ubantu or Linux Mint as a second boot option on a Windows 10 desktop computer. I have downloaded the .iso file and burned it to a blank disk. Any time I put the .iso disk in the cd/dvd drive and boot the computer I do get the option to boot into Windows 10 (default) or into ubantu. If i select ubantu, the computer attempts to start but quickly has a screen showing an error message and a missing file name. The file is 'File:\g21dr.mbr.' The file name might be g21dr.mbr or g2ldr.mbr, I am not sure. My problem is that I can not find the named file on the .iso disk and I don't know where, exactly, to look for that file. Any suggestions would be welcomed.
Thank you.

yancek
January 30th, 2019, 01:03 AM
The file it can't find isn't a Grub or Linux file, at least that name. And what might that error message be? If you don't remember, run it again and make a note of it. Did you burn the iso file to the DVD as an "image" or just copy it? Take a look at the Ubuntu documentation at the link below which explains dual booting with windows 10 and if you still have specific questions, post back.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI