PDA

View Full Version : Re-sizing dual-boot partitions. Make Win smaller to make more room for ubuntu.

AndEilert
January 25th, 2019, 11:14 AM
Hi guys!

I have finally been able to get ubuntu to work flawlessly on my Surface pro 3. On this computer I have dual-booted Ubuntu and Win10. When installing ubuntu I was
quite sceptical so I didn't give Ubuntu as much disk-space as I now would like it to have.

Is it possible to make the windows partition smaller and make my Ubuntu partition larger without losing data / damaging the system?

Thank you very much!
Best regards
AndEilert

yancek
January 25th, 2019, 02:01 PM
It is possible but you will have to post more detailed information on your drive partitions if you want detailed instructions. Use gparted on the Ubuntu install DVD or usb to get this info and post it here. Always best to use windows Disk Management to shrink the windows partition then reboot to verify it still boots. Make sure you have backups of important data as there is always a possibility of data loss. You generall need continguous free space to increase the size of a partition but it may be possible to create another partition for Ubuntu if this isn't possible.