PDA

View Full Version : [server] Installing Ubuntu Server 18.04 - some questions to make a better start for version-II

pepper662
January 23rd, 2019, 03:18 PM
Goodday Ubuntu-experts,
I am trying to make a home server and I have a very basal question that is perfectly fit for a forum because it is both essential as basal and I can not find the exact answer on the fora until now. I am fairly handy around windows and MacOS but relatively new on linux.

The situation:
I am trying to make a home server for 3 services;

Owncloud
Plex media server
Samba LAN server

The hardware I have:

Old but sufficient; motherboard, CPU and RAM (not important)
2,5 TB hard disks (1x 1,5tb and 1x 1tb)

I already made server version 1.0. The server was up and running and providing all the needed services. I am contemplating how I will proceed now. I will make server 2.0 (fresh install). Now I added the secnd harddrive. I wanted to install ubuntu on a logical volume. What I did; during the install I made a LVM from the two availlable hard drives. From this volume group (2,5 Tb) I made several logical volumes. I mounted all selectable mounts (e.g. /Var, /Home). But if I do that I can not continue. Here is where I am stuck!

The concrete questions I have:

How can I continue? I do not seem able to mount the /boot on a logical volume?!
How much space should I reserve for what mounts? Like I said I am only using owncloud, plex and samba. I would like to use most of the availlable space for these services.

That was it for now. I would be very grateful for an answer on these questions. Then I can finally make progress for my second attempt to make my house-server 2.0.

Greets,

Pepper662

SeijiSensei
January 23rd, 2019, 03:43 PM
I've built a lot of servers. I stopped using LVM years ago because it wasn't worth the effort.

My current home/office server consists of a single drive on which Linux is installed, a pair of 1 TB drives in a RAID 1 for /home, a pair of 3 TB drives in a RAID 1 array where I store video and music, and a 4 TB USB external drive for backups.

pepper662
January 23rd, 2019, 05:55 PM
Hi SeijiSensei,

Thanks for the response. So you would divide it physically! That is ofcourse an option that is always there! Thanks. It seems a bit old-skool but you seem to have quite some experience with it so wise for me to follow!

Need to find me some more disks :)

Tadaen_Sylvermane
January 24th, 2019, 03:44 AM
You need a backup of course but mergerfs pooling is a good way to use all space without relying on lvm. Great for media especially. I do it at home.