PDA

View Full Version : Making permanent change to grub boot menuentry?

Dáire Fagan
January 22nd, 2019, 06:04 PM
I dual boot with VeraCrypted Windows, and after I made some change to the Windows 10 grub menuentry in the beginning this has been working fine, i.e. changing the menuentry to point from EFI\Microsoft\Boot\Bootmgfw.efi to instead EFI\VeraCrypt\DcsBoot.efi.

Something, I am guessing an update, has reverted this back to how it was initially, so that the same entry that was working now makes Windows attempt repairs. Thankfully I can still boot Windows 10 by hitting F12 on boot to bring up the boot menu and selecting VeraCrypt boot loader.

I am not sure how I edited the menuentry in the beginning, but I have been trying to use Grub Customiser this time, and I have edited and saved the Windows entry as:

And I can see this is reflected in /boot/grub/grub.cfg as:

menuentry "Windows Boot Manager (on /dev/sda1)" --class windows --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-efi-E625-C979' {
insmod part_gpt
insmod fat
set root='hd0,gpt1'
if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,gpt1 --hint-efi=hd0,gpt1 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,gpt1 E625-C979
else
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root E625-C979
fi
chainloader \EFI\VeraCrypt\DcsBoot.efi
}

Still when I boot, when I select that menu entry Windows starts attemtping repairs, and if I select 'e' on the menuentry, I can see it is still set to try and boot EFI\Microsoft\Boot\Bootmgfw.efi. I rebooted and input sudo update-grub, but this did not change anything.

How can I make the changes I made be reflected in the actual menuentry, and better yet, how can I make it so that this is a last changing, even through future updates?