PDA

View Full Version : Can connecting a Full HD STB to a 720pTV cause any problems in the long run ?

linuxyogi
January 22nd, 2019, 02:18 PM
I have purchased this TV (https://www.panasonic.com/in/consumer/home-entertainment/televisions/LED-TV/th-39e200dx.html).

The TV is 720p but my cable operator has given me a Full HD set top box.

Can connecting a Full HD STB to a 720pTV cause any problems in the long run ?

ajgreeny
January 22nd, 2019, 02:58 PM
I don't think so, but you will, of course, not get full HD as there are only 720, instead of 1080 pixels to use on the TV.

linuxyogi
January 26th, 2019, 08:37 AM
I don't think so, but you will, of course, not get full HD as there are only 720, instead of 1080 pixels to use on the TV.

Thanks.

When I power on the TV with the set top box plugged the TV says that its "HDMI 1080i"

yetimon_64
January 26th, 2019, 10:48 PM
...When I power on the TV with the set top box plugged the TV says that its "HDMI 1080i"
I'd suggest the TV is reporting the source resolution only there, considering the set top box is "Full HD".

According to the specs from your link in the opening post the screen resolution in 1366x768.
With a native resolution of 1366x768 it would be physically impossible for the TV to display the set top box's "HDMI 1080i" resolution; you will most likely be watching a downsized image but the TV reports what the input signal resolution it is receiving is to you.

I doubt this would cause any problems, downsizing of images is a common occurrence; though it may be cause for some confusion at times when the source is reported on a device with a lower resolution. To view the set top boxes output in "Full HD" would require a full hd (1920x1080) capable TV set.

Regards, yeti.

linuxyogi
January 27th, 2019, 08:54 AM
I'd suggest the TV is reporting the source resolution only there, considering the set top box is "Full HD".

According to the specs from your link in the opening post the screen resolution in 1366x768.
With a native resolution of 1366x768 it would be physically impossible for the TV to display the set top box's "HDMI 1080i" resolution; you will most likely be watching a downsized image but the TV reports what the input signal resolution it is receiving is to you.

I doubt this would cause any problems, downsizing of images is a common occurrence; though it may be cause for some confusion at times when the source is reported on a device with a lower resolution. To view the set top boxes output in "Full HD" would require a full hd (1920x1080) capable TV set.

Regards, yeti.

Got it. Thanks.

mastablasta
January 28th, 2019, 07:49 AM
i use TV box with scart on HD TV. the HDMI plugs are "reserved" for PC and raspberryPI. it's been like that for about 8 years now. works fine.